Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How does brass "grow"

The rifle was a Weatherby Vangaurd .308 the shooter said the bolt felt a bit stiff he was only neck sizing so thought it just needed full length sizing, he had not heard of trimming cases, don't know long the case was just enough to stop the bullet releasing properly,
    the gases blew out through the magazine splitting the stock the shooter collected wood splinters in his arm and brass fragments in his face luckily he was wearing safety glasses, I have read of some others happening, the only other blow up I have witnessed was an overload the shooter changed powders but not the weight and blew out a piece of the action and cracked a bolt lug, we are dealing with very high pressures, it doesn't take much to over pressure a load if proper loading practices are not followed I double check every step of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    A myth, as often perpetuated as regularly as it's debunked.

Does Glass Flow? | Corning Museum of Glass
    Being an old hack and re glaze man, I have never seen a pane of glass thick at the top and thin at the bottom, I therefore conclude that the old old old hack and re glaze men used to measure the glass before installation and always put the thick end down! They created this illusion just to confuse us, who would have thought!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Being an old hack and re glaze man, I have never seen a pane of glass thick at the top and thin at the bottom, I therefore conclude that the old old old hack and re glaze men used to measure the glass before installation and always put the thick end down! They created this illusion just to confuse us, who would have thought!
    it would be drawn sheet glass on those old hack and smack putty jobs(use to a have adrawn sheet plant manufacturing glass up north)sheet glass is quite wavey with lite on it(it does vary in thickness but that is due to the process of drawing the molten glass up at tower between rollers. Today s glass is all (new) imported float glass from over seas ,float is consistent in thickness and optically superior and easier to cut as well.we do toughen glass in Nz but not actually produce as a new product(that is stock sheets of raw annealed glass)toughened is cut to size before toughen can't cut after proccess