Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How fast/effective?

Yeh I’d much prefer a heavier slug slung slower than a faster smaller pill in the bush, recoil is not noticeably different imo between a 125/130 and a 150/155. Id go with the 30/30 slug equivalents.
    I used 150 in a 308 lower loaded for sika and they still were like shooting pigeons off a close line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Hmmm - I recently shot a big bodied red stag (on the local golf course of all places) at 40 metres just behind the shoulder with a 30 cal 125gn Hornardy SST that started at 2100 fps from a 300 BLK. Hit a rib on the way in and completely jellied that shoulder, the core (still 66 gns) lodged in the far shoulder, which was fine to eat. Very disappointing as I thought that I'd be eating right up to the bullet hole at that sort of velocity. Its also a mystery as to where the jacket went, couldn't find it or any trace (I did gut it out in the dark).

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hmmm - I recently shot a big bodied red stag (on the local golf course of all places) at 40 metres just behind the shoulder with a 30 cal 125gn Hornardy SST that started at 2100 fps from a 300 BLK. Hit a rib on the way in and completely jellied that shoulder, the core (still 66 gns) lodged in the far shoulder, which was fine to eat. Very disappointing as I thought that I'd be eating right up to the bullet hole at that sort of velocity. Its also a mystery as to where the jacket went, couldn't find it or any trace (I did gut it out in the dark).
    Now that's my kind of golf! 9 iron or 300 BLK... Better take the safe option, got to keep that score down
    kotuku and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Use cast bullets at 1800-1900fps and you will get pass through with no mess eat right you to the hole, any bullet going 2000fps plus on impact will make a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Use cast bullets at 1800-1900fps and you will get pass through with no mess eat right you to the hole, any bullet going 2000fps plus on impact will make a mess.
    you could drop the speed lower with cast to 15-1600fps and still get good results
    when i was running cast 190grn FP subs in a .30/30 my other load when i wanted some serious smack was the same bullet at 1500fps, it would flatten Deer, Goats with a good chest shot.

when i down loaded my .308 for my son i used the 150grn ProHunter at 2345fps, longest kill on Deer 300 yards, soft recoil, accurate, just a pleasure to use.

i am a fan of low velocity loads for beginners and those who don't like Big recoil
    shooternz likes this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

The 170g cast Bullets I have are a pointed profile,not hollow or flat nose,will they still expand or punch right on through?i know the 151g hollow points I had expanded but they don’t feed well in my gun being so short.

[QUOTE=The bomb;792098]The 170g cast Bullets I have are a pointed profile,not hollow or flat nose,will they still expand or punch right on through?i know the 151g hollow points I had expanded but they don’t feed well in my gun being so short.[/QUOTE

wouldnt be my choice, maybe if you could smash the shoulder they may work . . . i did use round nose cast boolits ( 212 & 170grn. bullets ) when i first started casting for my .308 back in the day . . . changing to 170 & 197grn flat points definitely improved performance on animals.

the LEE 170grn. .308 mold would be a good place to start & cast your own
    Last edited by rossi.45; 12-02-2019 at 06:16 PM.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Robert makes the same projectile as the 151s at 170 grns....it just doesnt have to HOHO hollow point...but if one wont feed right the other will be the same.

Shot the SSTs today,nice tight group at 33g 2206h ,16 in barrel,2.80 col,what’s the speed guesstimates?

Yea I tried the longer ones of his but being the same bullet shape they seated out further but jammed in the lands and dumped the powder when trying to eject unfired ones,the 170g pointed ones feed well and shoot around an inch @ 50m subsonic,I use them for hares ,rabbits and pesky camp possums.

The resultsName:  image.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  910.2 KB

I’ve got a chrony you can borrow if you want?
    More meplat, more better.

Might take you up on that offer, thanks

33g @ 12m into a bag of sand,looks like it might be ok for bush work with good shot placement.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  843.6 KB
    winaa likes this.

Have ended up going with 36g just to get a little more expansion,hunting this weekend if the weather doesn’t shit itself so hopefully get to test it on a Sika.