Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: The Importance of Using the Right Data

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    I'm not risking anything I'm enquiring about the fact bolt actions are rather strong ,one Muppet on here sends a link of a blown up ar15 not what I was asking about it's a semi .Then everyone jumps on there the high horses saying I'm being foolish ,like what fuck I don't push the envelope on my reloading

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    Just for shits and giggles tell us a couple of the loads you are using and I'll run them in Quickload or GRT and we'll see if you like the results . . . .

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Just for shits and giggles tell us a couple of the loads you are using and I'll run them in Quickload or GRT and we'll see if you like the results . . . .
    58 gr 760 win 125 sst groups under an inch flattens deer that's 3006, 223 25gr win 748 55 gr Hornady

I'm not risking anything I'm enquiring about the fact bolt actions are rather strong ,one Muppet on here sends a link of a blown up ar15 not what I was asking about it's a semi .Then everyone jumps on there the high horses saying I'm being foolish ,like what fuck I don't push the envelope on my reloading

True enough bolt actions are strong but can still fail. So long as you don't push the limits there shouldn't be a problem. I don't think everyone is getting on there high horses I think they are more concerned about your safety and the safety of others reading this thread.

58 gr 760 win 125 sst groups under an inch flattens deer that's 3006, 223 25gr win 748 55 gr Hornady

without checking manual...I would guess both are fine BECAUSE I use same in 223 and similar in the 270...the 30/06 having bigger barrel hole so less surface area and pressure...interesting choice of load for a dirty 06..... very interesting indeed..
    but no way in hell would I load up cases without checking manual....

I can't be bothered bringing up 30-06 data but your 223 load is likely running at 43,300 psi (which is fine if it works for ya) but you are hardly exploring what "maximum pressure" is.

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I can't be bothered bringing up 30-06 data but your 223 load is likely running at 43,300 psi (which is fine if it works for ya) but you are hardly exploring what "maximum pressure" is.
    I don't want be I'm just intrigued that bolt actions are hardy mf's

Min load for that combo is 57gr max is 62gr a
    NRT likes this.

I don't want be I'm just intrigued that bolt actions are hardy mf's

Greetings NRT,
    Thanks for your candid sharing of your load data with us. As above both are in the safe zone and I am sure work well for you. With regards about bolt actions being strong this is true and they have been getting steadily stronger since they were introduced in the mid 1800's. The weak link has been the cartridge case. The case has to be ductile enough to obdurate (expand to seal the chamber) but hard enough not to fail, especially in the head. Modern bolt actions like Micky's post 63 Model 70 and most push feed actions handle the gas from a ruptured case quite well but older actions often do not. Older actions, especially those over 100 years old are made from steel that is more brittle. Should the case fail the rifle can be damaged or destroyed and if the action does not handle gas well the rifleman can be injured or worse as well.
    Load data is set at pressure levels that should be safe in all rifles chambered for the cartridge. This allows for the variations that can be encountered in the components plus a healthy safety margin. Those that work up loads past published maximums are eating into this safety margin. Mostly they will get away with it but a fast lot of powder or other component variation can put them in dangerous territory. I don't load beyond published maximums in most of my rifles. I also load well below max in my old soldiers (actions made from 1881 to 1942). The rifle that is loaded a little hotter is my Tikka T3 6.5x55. Some but not all 6.5x55 data is held down to 45,000 CUP due to some older actions of military rifles including my M38 Swedish Mauser. As I have posted earlier I don't have much faith in the usual high pressure signs like primer appearance, bolt lift etc. preferring to use a chronograph together with published data as an indicator of pressure.
    All the best with your handloading. I have been loading my own for about 50 years and am nowhere near bored with it yet. My cautious nature has kept me out of trouble thus far and hopefully will do so in the future as well.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings NRT,
    Thanks for your candid sharing of your load data with us. As above both are in the safe zone and I am sure work well for you. With regards about bolt actions being strong this is true and they have been getting steadily stronger since they were introduced in the mid 1800's. The weak link has been the cartridge case. The case has to be ductile enough to obdurate (expand to seal the chamber) but hard enough not to fail, especially in the head. Modern bolt actions like Micky's post 63 Model 70 and most push feed actions handle the gas from a ruptured case quite well but older actions often do not. Older actions, especially those over 100 years old are made from steel that is more brittle. Should the case fail the rifle can be damaged or destroyed and if the action does not handle gas well the rifleman can be injured or worse as well.
    Load data is set at pressure levels that should be safe in all rifles chambered for the cartridge. This allows for the variations that can be encountered in the components plus a healthy safety margin. Those that work up loads past published maximums are eating into this safety margin. Mostly they will get away with it but a fast lot of powder or other component variation can put them in dangerous territory. I don't load beyond published maximums in most of my rifles. I also load well below max in my old soldiers (actions made from 1881 to 1942). The rifle that is loaded a little hotter is my Tikka T3 6.5x55. Some but not all 6.5x55 data is held down to 45,000 CUP due to some older actions of military rifles including my M38 Swedish Mauser. As I have posted earlier I don't have much faith in the usual high pressure signs like primer appearance, bolt lift etc. preferring to use a chronograph together with published data as an indicator of pressure.
    All the best with your handloading. I have been loading my own for about 50 years and am nowhere near bored with it yet. My cautious nature has kept me out of trouble thus far and hopefully will do so in the future as well.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    We'll thank you for taking the time to write an informative response that answers some of my queries, especially brittle metal never thought of that.Yes when I retire I plan to shoot a lot more paper ,and heap of reloading an enjoyable hobby. Cheers Grandpamac

grandpamac likes this.