Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By 25/08 IMP
  • 3 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By TLB
  • 2 Post By charliehorse

Thread: Info on .270 load data using Hodgdon Superperformance powder and 130gr projectiles

Info on .270 load data using Hodgdon Superperformance powder and 130gr projectiles

Hi guys,

I realize there are a number of threads already on this topic, however non of them cover the 130 grain bullet weight range in much detail.

Ive got an 18inch sako .270 that I'm trying to get a load for. AR2209 and AR2213SC have both given poor velocities respectively, only yielding around 2700fps using Hornady 130gr SST's.

I chronographed some 130gr Hornady superperformance factory ammo which got up to the mid 2900's which im happy with given the very short barrel length of my rifle.

This inspired me to go and grab some Hodgdon Superperformance powder yesterday. However upon sitting down to work up some loads I've found a real lack of reloading data (which many others have mentioned). I wish i had checked this out before buying the powder!

I see lots of talk of the 145 ELDX with 57-58gr of powder generating awesome results in longer barreled sakos and tikkas.

I unloaded one of the unfired Hornady superperformance rounds and weighed the powder and was amazed to see 65 grains register on the scales. Way more than I was expecting! This certainly doesn't leave me confident in trying to replicate this as the only official load data i can see with this powder near the 130 grain weight is by barnes (min 52.5 max 58.3gr) using their 129 LRX BT.

Anyway all of this has left me scratching my head so if anyone has had experience loading 130gr projectiles with this powder Id love to hear from you, really looking for an idea of where to start with charge weights.

Cheers Josh

Banned
    First thing dont use 130 gr SSt on deer. They blow to bits, result in a high % lost deer and ruined meat in the ones you get. People love them because they are easy to get to shoot without effort

Start at 56gr, this has been a very safe load for 140's so will be a safe start for 130
    257weatherby and Dawg like this.

Greetings,
    The Superformance powder you can buy is not the same stuff that is in the .270 Superformance ammo. It is a little faster. The lack of loading data is because the powder is not ideal for the .270 and does not give top velocities. This is why Hodgdon does not list loads for it. H1000 (AR2217) would be a better bet with the 140 grain if you can find any. H4350 (AR2209) gives decent velocities with the 130 grain. 2,700 fps seems awfully slow even with an 18' barrel. What was your top load of AR2209 with that and how old is your powder. Earlier batches of AR2209 were slower in my experience.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Dawg likes this.

Hi @grandpaamac

Thanks for your response that's really useful info.

Top load with AR2209 was 54.5gr for 2665fps

Top load with AR2213SC was 59gr for 2700fps

Ive had both of these powders sitting around for a long time so maybe that is part of problem.

I didnt push the envelop with either of these charge weights, but even still performance seems very poor hence why the idea to change powder.

By comparison factory superperformance ammo did 2940 fps.

Greetings @Dawg,
    I note that Hodgdons has a max of 54.3 grains of AR2209 for 3,012 fps at 50,500 CUP in a 24" barrel. Your 18" barrel would lose 25fps maybe 30 fps per inch or 150 fps to 180 fps total or about 2,800 to 2,850 fps expected velocity in your barrel, not 2,670 fps. Hodgdon lists 55.5 grains of H4350 with the harder Barnes for 3,111 fps at 63,500 PSI (CUP and PSI are not the same) so it looks as if the 54.3 grain load is a soft one and the batch of powder you have is a slow one. I assume that your AR2209 is in a plastic canister rather than the earlier metal can and also that the container was still sealed when you got it. If it wasn't sealed then it could be anything.
    Based on the load data your AR2209 is slow so a test you could do is to scrounge some AR2209 from another handloader and test this for velocity using the same charge. You could also test an extra grain ie 55.5 grains of AR2209 and 60 grains of AR2213SC which should give an extra 50 fps in each. You could also test the same load in your rifle and another .270 adjusting for your barrel length as above. This will tell you if you have a slow barrel. Please feel free to PM me any results or questions for comment.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Dawg and Moa Hunter like this.

I load Hodgdon superprofrmance in a couple of .270 with the ELDX ill have to check me data book but i think its 57 grn in both and they are both 20" barrel one a sako 85 and the other a browning with a hardy barrel.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Dawg likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Hi mate
    Don't worry about this post, just being a bit cheeky, but.
    Most of us know there is only one problem here.
    Moa Hunter, Bobba and Borris like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Care to elaborate @jakewire ?

TLB
    Superformance and the .270 are an awesome combination.
    19" barrel getting over 2900 with 140s and a 22" barrel getting about 3150 with the 130gr sst.
    130gr sst are awesome, fairly soft, similar to an amax or eldm. Just shoot them in the right spot and they are fine. Avoid the main shoulder bone under 200. If anything they are better than a few other options because if you muck your shot up there is a bit more margin for error. Shot 9 reds the other night and between a mate and I probably close to 100 this year with them out to about 650 yards culling, haven't lost a single one. Do a bloody good job!
    If you pm me tomorrow night and remind me I can give you my 130gr load.
    Dawg likes this.

Thanks @TLB, awesome to hear. PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    Care to elaborate @jakewire ?
    They're not fortunate enough to own one I think he means.....
    Dawg and Kiwilad2021 like this.