Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Larskramer

Thread: Interesting concept

Interesting concept

So I watched a video on extreme long range shooting and the fella raised an interesting point which I will get to after a few replies but firstly can someone answer this.
    What would be the difference in wind drift as a percentage at 500m when comparing a 300wm vs a 6.5 cm shooting standard round for each of these. I am not familiar with these but this was his example.
    Cheers

What's a standard round ?
    ebf likes this.

Something factory I'm guessing about 140gr for cm and 180gr the win mag

Both using the heaviest Hornady super performance for each round at the published velocity

300WM 180SST at 3130 = 16.7in wind drift
    6.5CM 129 SST at 2950 = 18.0in wind drift

A difference of 7%. Pretty minimal really and quite surprising as it was only a 129.

So if we took say 2 tika t3 let's suppress them both to keep it fair.
    So do you think with the 6.5 you could shoot consistently groups 7% better due to better gun control and reduced recoil? Could you shot moa rather than 1.07 or at 500m 5moa rather than 5.35 the negating the gainmade against wind with the heavier bullet?

500 is short range, I'd take the WM over the 6.5 for a few reason's but then I've used magnums for 3 decades

One shot and under no time pressure - no difference as you got time to read the wind and settle into the shot.
    One shot under pressure - in theory the 300WM as less wind drift if you got it wrong.
    20 shots in a row - I put my money on the 6.5CM for the better group.

If both rifles weigh the same as this will make a big difference on how they kick...

Quote Originally Posted by Remmodel7 View Post
    So if we took say 2 tika t3 let's suppress them both to keep it fair.
    So do you think with the 6.5 you could shoot consistently groups 7% better due to better gun control and reduced recoil? Could you shot moa rather than 1.07 or at 500m 5moa rather than 5.35 the negating the gainmade against wind with the heavier bullet?

I’m almost certain I’d shoot better with the 6.5 than the 300. For me I hate recoil so I know my groups would open up on the 300 especially doing something like a gong shoot firing 30 odd rounds.

In my mindset the wind could be further mitigated going heavy for caliber like the ELDM/ELDX line up in the 6.5, to be honest the biggest governing factor will be how you handle magnum recoil.

huge difference will be WHAT you are trying to shoot way out long..... a gong...the 6.5 a big arsed stag/thar/pig/bull/other critter then the 300 will have more authority and better ability to CLEANLY put it in the non viable catagoury.

Yea obviously a few variables but I thought it was an interesting concept. Certainly if you can not be as precise with the bigger calibre the bigger bullet can make up for this I terminal ballistics. As a percentage I was surprised at how small the difference in wind drift was and that by being more precise could potentially make up for this drift.