Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The THLR Concept reticle is official

The THLR Concept reticle is official

Tool for the job
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Hi Norway,
    There are a few things I like about it.
    The thick black posts is one of them.
    But my main targets are deer, hare/rabbits and magpies, not bipeds, can you design one for these preys?
    And I would like the bottom thick post on the top and hold over marks in mils or moa on the bottom for hold over.the reason, as you perfectly explained is that for shooting in darkness it is usually at close range but if there is a need for hold over you don't want the thick post to cover your target( I.e. The rabbit in my case)
    And the point of the thick post at a sharper angle like 60 degrees instead of 45 ( or 120 degrees instead of 90 if you see what mean?)

Good effort.
    I hope your reticle will be available in more scope brands than just the expensive Schmitt and bender.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    But my main targets are deer, hare/rabbits and magpies, not bipeds, can you design one for these preys?
    Looks like I'm starting with a hunting project next week.. Mind you, in that project I am a participant, not a decision maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    And the point of the thick post at a sharper angle like 60 degrees instead of 45 ( or 120 degrees instead of 90 if you see what mean?)
    Yes I do and no I won't .
    That part of the design was wilfully misleading.
    A sharper point makes it too easy to put point of aim unintentionally too high.
    You have a very real concern and it is solved in the current reticle, but not with a sharper point.

My experience comes from shooting foxes at night in the UK with such a sharpy point reticle...that is why I asked

Looks good, functional without being overcrowded, allthough I do have to disagree with your choice of target for the video...

I suspect he is pushing this reticle for military applications - hence the use of the target. Makes sense particularly for demonstrating the ranging and moving target leads.
    Dreamer likes this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

It might not be the most appropriate forum to post the video Link then...
    Or a more appropriate video could have been edited with an animal target.

Link doesn't work for me.
    Gibo likes this.

Hey, feel free to report the post if you feel it is inappropriate. Personally I think you guys are being a bit precious about it all really. I though it showed the ranging and lead lines quite well and provided good contrast to be able to clearly see the reticle. An animal target wouldn't have shown these features as well.

Also personally, I really like the centre dot but I think the reticle would need a fair amount of practice to get really proficient with some of the details. I also like the thick bars coming in for snap shooting or close targets on lower magnification.
    @Norway I assume at lower magnifications the illumination of the centre dot still shows well? Is it set up to be used in conjunction with say a 500m zero?
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

I cant watch the video, did you take it down because some poofs felt offended? Please bring it back

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I cant watch the video, did you take it down because some poofs felt offended? Please bring it back
    Do you point your rifle at people, even if it's not loaded, then call others a poof for pulling you up on it? I just thought a silhouette or similar could have shown the same thing without using a real live person. I do however think the reticle is great and can understand what the video was showing in regards to target acquisition etc
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Do you point your rifle at people, even if it's not loaded, then call others a poof for pulling you up on it? I just thought a silhouette or similar could have shown the same thing without using a real live person. I do however think the reticle is great and can understand what the video was showing in regards to target acquisition etc
    How do you know the scope was mounted on a rifle???
    shift14 likes this.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    How do you know the scope was mounted on a rifle???
    You dont

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    You dont
    +1

And seeing as it is a rifle scope there is the 'perception' you are pointing a rifle at whatever is visible in the scope.

Note: I've not seen the video yet, the teaser was just plain rotten, and look forward to seeing the design when the opportunity arises.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!