Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The largest stash of factory ammo you ever bought

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    2k of 223, not much left now, lots of dead goats. Never bothered reloading for the black gun, just spray & walk away.
    dannyb likes this.

When I bought my first rifle after getting my ticket I bought a whole 500 round packet of Federal bulk. Then I bought 6000 rounds of PMX subs by splitting a slab with @crnkin.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I got a mate with a feral pig problem in aussie that bought 80,000 rounds of 308 and 25,000 of 223.
    True story!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Fucken hell..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

720 case of 7.62 x 39 not long after I bought my SKS ..3.9 cents a round from memory..

I can't compete with quantity, but the best DEAL I ever got was $3.50 for a brick of .22 ammo.

Many years ago the local hardware store was closing down and everything was going out the door in a hurry. I grabbed a brick of .22 ammo and on the outside of the brick was the price label - $3.50. The lady on the checkout didn't realise that was the price for each of the individual 10 boxes of 50 inside and charged me $3.50 for the brick. I was young and broke at the time so to my immense discredit I didn't enlighten her and walked out of the store. Unfortunately cheap bricks of ammo do not seem to last as long as expensive bricks of ammo - so it didn't take long before I had to refill the cupboard at the true price.

I got in on an NZ army surplus deal once. we had all put in a bid then rumour has it GC got the lot then that fell through so they went back to all the minimal bidders.
    15c a round I got 2000 which was a case ( of 1500 plus another bunch of cardboard boxes to make up the 500 ) 308
    Steve123 likes this.

During Pest Board days I would buy for the council the ammo, most of the time 50,000, to 70, 000 22 rounds at a time, sometimes several times a year. We used to burn a few rounds up nightshooting back then.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    Fucken hell..

Hope they do, that's where I'm going

Do primers count ?

I got 100-130000 last year

Not all for me but ...

Brought 2 pkts federal fusion in .223 once. Still have it, Other than than everything is reloads for me
    Had 20000 small rifle primers to work my way through.. need to top up soon getting low less than 6k left

223 is the only calibre I own which I can buy factory ammo for
    Mathias likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    720 case of 7.62 x 39 not long after I bought my SKS ..3.9 cents a round from memory..

3.9cents a round? is that a typo?
    I'd buy a truckload and that's not an exaggeration haha

I bought 250 rounds of Belmont 308 for 200 bucks.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I got a mate with a feral pig problem in aussie that bought 80,000 rounds of 308 and 25,000 of 223.
    True story!
    Yup, that wasn’t unusual over there, back in the day. Several of the feral pest controllers I worked with would buy military surplus ammo in those kind of quantities for one year.

They would also buy several of their preferred semi-autos like Saiga, SKS, some old ARs and just shoot them until they stopped and chuck them.

Much of their work was done from little choppers, they didn’t like heavy recoilers, so the 5.56 and 7.62x39 were popular, three into the spine around the shoulders, game over. Pigs, camels, donkeys, scrub bulls... the one none of them liked shooting was brumbies.

There’s a place I visited in 2015 again to catch up with an old mate, I shan’t name it as the population is (was?) 12 and the personalities there are well known in the district... There’s a nondescript container out the back of a nondescript brick house where an old fella lives, he’s a character alright still works for the SES. Well what’s in that container is probably highly illegal, maybe not who knows, cos despite his age he’s still shooting camels and donkeys... but there’s enough ammo in there - French military surplus - to keep Waiouru in business for a year or two. It would all have been acquired legally, back in the day, just suspect the rules have changed...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Yup, that wasn’t unusual over there, back in the day. Several of the feral pest controllers I worked with would buy military surplus ammo in those kind of quantities for one year.

They would also buy several of their preferred semi-autos like Saiga, SKS, some old ARs and just shoot them until they stopped and chuck them.

Much of their work was done from little choppers, they didn’t like heavy recoilers, so the 5.56 and 7.62x39 were popular, three into the spine around the shoulders, game over. Pigs, camels, donkeys, scrub bulls... the one none of them liked shooting was brumbies.

There’s a place I visited in 2015 again to catch up with an old mate, I shan’t name it as the population is (was?) 12 and the personalities there are well known in the district... There’s a nondescript container out the back of a nondescript brick house where an old fella lives, he’s a character alright still works for the SES. Well what’s in that container is probably highly illegal, maybe not who knows, cos despite his age he’s still shooting camels and donkeys... but there’s enough ammo in there - French military surplus - to keep Waiouru in business for a year or two. It would all have been acquired legally, back in the day, just suspect the rules have changed...
    Apparently you couldn't buy a 44 gallon oil drum or pvc pipe for love nor money. Bunnings must have sold out of entrenching tools too ha.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Bus driver
    Flyblown.....camels,donkeys brumbies???....wow
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

200 rounds of 30 06 for $50 at an auction about two years ago. still waiting for a rifle to turn up so I can use some of it!
    gadgetman and Steve123 like this.
    Use enough gun