Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Little Crow Worlds Finest Trimmer.. initial thoughts

I don't know if these WFT dongles are particularly popular around here.. I don't know anyone else that has used one. So I thought I might interject my 0.2c after having owned one for a whole week.
    For all other calibres I load, Lee case length gauges do the trick nicely for trimming operations -as I aren't usually prepping more than 50 cases at a time. Even trimming 50 cases gets a tad uncomfortable on the tendons in the thumb while holding onto the bits and perfoming the same minor motor function repeatedly 50 times. Two Two 3.. on the other hand, I load in batches of 1-200... So, I thought I would try the LC-WFT and see if it alleviates the process. At a cost of $70ish in US monies from Brownells, it works out about 100 of our sheckels, with a shared postage cost split among all the other things in the box, because you can't stop at just one item when ordering a box of goodness from Brownells.
    First thing I found, was that it requires 'setting up' or adjusting to correct trim length. If you dont have a correctly trimed-to-length case to use for the setup.. the trimmer will be out of operation. So I had to trim a couple of cases using the tried and trusted lee gauges, and use those trimmed cases to adjust the LCWFT.
    Once adjusted and gripped in the chuck of the battery drill, the next point of note was gripping the cases in hand while the trimmer spins.. as I trim my cases right after sizing, tthe brass is still covered in redding sizing wax, and although it didnt make it impossible to grip the brass, they did need to be held in hand with a piece of paper towel or the like to stop them spinning in my fingers as the cutting blade dug into the case mouth.
    Once these minor inconveniences are sorted, the trimmer worked its way through the first lot of 50 cases easily, and I have no regrets with the $100 investment.
    Would I buy one for every calibre? Nope, the lee trim gauges work just fine for small batches of brass and I'd rather spend the money on projectiles and powder. Should I have invested the monies in a do-all universal trimmer instead? Perhaps, I don't know, I've never used one.
    Anyway, thats that.
    -BW

I also have a couple and I think they're great. Very quick to use.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

Good honest review.

I looked at them a few years back. The bit I didn't like was they appear to index of the shoulder not the full case length like for example the Lee Trim gauges.
    You also need to buy a unique one for each of your cartridges although I see they now have the WFT2 which allows interchangeable chambers. The interchangeable chambers are not cheap though.

I ended up sticking with my ancient Forster Original which although needing setting up (quick) for each cartridge does an excellent job. Not as fast obviously as the WFT.
    I upgraded my Forster and now use their 3 in 1 cutters which trim to length, chamfer inside and out all in one operation.

But, I still have all my Lee trimmers. They work a treat, no set up required.

I like them a lot quick and easy, I got one for making my own 300Blackout brass out of LC 5.56 cases 2000 of them. Really good for high volume trimming and once setup never need to adjust it again.

I got one for .308 as I shoot that the most, I actually sold my Forster trimmer and all its attachments ( i decided I would never neck trim again )
    Once set up I really like it, you can do 200 cases in about 30 minutes.

I use one for .260 and like it. Need to obtain a .223 model.

Get the WFT2, heaps cheaper if you are going to use on multiple cartridge's.

Dale from Little Crow is great, easy as to order straight from them

I agonized for ages over trimmers before going for these, Im glad I did

Quote Originally Posted by FourtyFour View Post
    Get the WFT2, heaps cheaper if you are going to use on multiple cartridge's.

Dale from Little Crow is great, easy as to order straight from them

I agonized for ages over trimmers before going for these, Im glad I did
    I would've opted for the WFT2, and got multiple inserts, but they were out of stock at brownells so I ended up with the .223 version. I didn't think of ordering straight from WC!

I have a 223 & 22TCM ones. They work great, quicker than my little Lee cutters. I find that my fingers get numb after hanging onto a couple a hundred cases though.

Mine is worn out and i'm not replacing it. The Lee one isn't that much slower but it indexes off a failsafe point (unlike the WFT). Maybe that giraud one is better?

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Good honest review.

I looked at them a few years back. The bit I didn't like was they appear to index of the shoulder not the full case length like for example the Lee Trim gauges.
    You also need to buy a unique one for each of your cartridges although I see they now have the WFT2 which allows interchangeable chambers. The interchangeable chambers are not cheap though.
    Strange comment @zimmer.

Only thing you really need to get your head around is to trim after sizing or bumping the shoulder. For most cartridges, the case headspaces on the shoulder after all, so nothing strange about it.

I use WFT-1 trimmers for 3 different calibers, the ones I do the most volume in.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    Mine is worn out and i'm not replacing it. The Lee one isn't that much slower but it indexes off a failsafe point (unlike the WFT). Maybe that giraud one is better?
    Giraud trims off the shoulder as well but are a solid peice of machinery.