Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Load to replicate Hornady 308 factory 150gn SST ammo

I'd like to know the load to replicate PPU 303 180gn and 150gn.

Gone but not forgotten
    In theory, if you load the same projectile so it's doing the same speed as the factory ammo, it should have the same accuracy (and POI). To do this you'll need to use a chronograph.
    erniec likes this.

Has anyone chronographed the factory ammo? And if so with what barrel length?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

2650 out of a 16 inch barrel
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Hi, I'm looking to replicate the Hornady factory load for 150gn SST in 308. Loading for a mate whose rifle apparently likes the factory stuff. Yes he has projectiles.

Any info on loads re powder and charge to come close woukd be welcome. Feel free to PM me if you prefer not to make public

I can chrono 3 of his last factory rounds out of his rifle which is has an 18in suppressed barrel.

I have a couple of suitable 308 powders but prefer not to waste by guessing.

I have either Winchester or Federal LRP, may so have some CCI

Thks
    Greetings @Jhon,
    Most 22 inch barrels will give around 2,750 fps with factory loads and 80 fps less (20 fps per inch lost) or 2,670 fps from 18 inch. Check this by chronographing your mates factory loads. Hodgdon max is 45.5 grains of AR2206H for 2,870 fps with the 150 grain in the .308. This works out to about 2,720 fps in your mates 18 inch barrel. So reducing the load to about 44.5 grains should be near matching velocities for him.
    I recently chronographed 44 grains of AR2206H with the 150 grain Hornady Interlock in the 20 inch barrel of my .308 which produced 2,670 fps. This was using Winchester cases same as Hodgdon and Hornady cases are about the same weight. The 0.5 grain less powder and the 2 inches more barrel are close to balancing things out. Begin with the start load of 43 grains of AR2206H and chronograph. Then calculate how much extra powder you need to get to 2,670 fps or whatever your mates rifle is giving at 50 fps per grain of powder and work up to that chronographing as you go. You can use the same technique using other powders. Best of luck.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    BSA270 and Jhon like this.

Are you talking the superpreformance load???????
    from what I saw....it will be hotter than a $2 pistol....waaay too hot for my liking.

your 180grn PPU shouldnt be too hot... hell its a .308,it should poke any half decent load out just fine n dandy...they ARENT FUSSY....

Thks for all the input. Normally I would just go off of published load data, do an incremental load development in the top half of the published charge and most times the 2nd from top in the ladder turns out to be the best node. With current shortages its a case of waste not, want not. The guy is very happy with factory ammo performance but is hurting at current prices - who isn't? So checking with the team seemed a good place to start.

I'll now chrono 3 of his factory rounds to see exactly how they are running from his barrel, then extrapolate from there, as Grandpamac suggests, for a couple of powders I have on hand - starting with 2208 & 2206h. Should not be too hard at all to match his factory velocity.

cheers
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Yep, without testing in the actual rifle, this is largely speculation but a good starting point.

So I went to the range last night with the youngster and his very nice Browning XBolt Superlite. Shot 3 factory Hornady 150gn SST for an average of 2860 fps on my chrono. Very tight little group at 50m without really being focused on shooting groups. I also made up 4 x 200gn cast with 10gn of a certain Shotgun powder. These Chrono'd at 1160fps but no holes in paper at all- took the last one up to 15 mtrs and it went thru the bull sideways with a good thumb length tear. A bit of quick research established this rifle only comes in 1:12 twist. So will try with some 151gn casts and see how those go. In the meantime some 2206H loads coming up to see how close we can get to factory.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    So I went to the range last night with the youngster and his very nice Browning XBolt Superlite. Shot 3 factory Hornady 150gn SST for an average of 2860 fps on my chrono. Very tight little group at 50m without really being focused on shooting groups. I also made up 4 x 200gn cast with 10gn of a certain Shotgun powder. These Chrono'd at 1160fps but no holes in paper at all- took the last one up to 15 mtrs and it went thru the bull sideways with a good thumb length tear. A bit of quick research established this rifle only comes in 1:12 twist. So will try with some 151gn casts and see how those go. In the meantime some 2206H loads coming up to see how close we can get to factory.
    The 151gr casts will be fine, they shoot well in my 1:12 twist 308 and 30-30.
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Greetings Jhon,
    2,860 fps for 150 grain in a .308 with an 18 inch barrel? Sounds very high to me unless it is some of the Hornady Light Magnum in which case you won't be able to match it with canister powders. Perhaps that was a typo.
    Regards Grandpamac.

GPM I have typed this out before...mate bought new left hand bolt action,either sako or browning...cant remember which...think sako as it was super smooth n sexy...he bought 40 rounds of hornady ammunition to go with it...superpreformance stuff.... it was HOT...hotter than a $2 pistol hot... some primers popped back out,some were flattened and one popped right out altogether.... flinch making hot...... he changed to 180grn winchester bog standard stuff on my advice and ZERO issues.... I fired a few of the factory hornady stuff and it was shockingly hot/loud ...just plain naaasty.
    stuff that for game of soldiers ...no need for all that extra pressure..stalk 50 yards closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    GPM I have typed this out before...mate bought new left hand bolt action,either sako or browning...cant remember which...think sako as it was super smooth n sexy...he bought 40 rounds of hornady ammunition to go with it...superpreformance stuff.... it was HOT...hotter than a $2 pistol hot... some primers popped back out,some were flattened and one popped right out altogether.... flinch making hot...... he changed to 180grn winchester bog standard stuff on my advice and ZERO issues.... I fired a few of the factory hornady stuff and it was shockingly hot/loud ...just plain naaasty.
    stuff that for game of soldiers ...no need for all that extra pressure..stalk 50 yards closer.
    Just checked and the Light Magnum ammo has gone, replaced with the Superformance stuff. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) the Superformance powder used in the .308 is not available to the public. The stuff that is is too slow.
    GPM.

he sent me photo this morning of his second stag..them 180s are working great.
    Jhon and Borris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Jhon,
    2,860 fps for 150 grain in a .308 with an 18 inch barrel? Sounds very high to me unless it is some of the Hornady Light Magnum in which case you won't be able to match it with canister powders. Perhaps that was a typo.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Well I guess my chrono could be suspect but I don't think so. It has never given results that have caused me to doubt it before. And no, its not a typo, and no, its not an 18in barrel its a factory 16in. I'd be happy to test my chrono alongside someone else's but I don't know anyone with one handy.

And if it is crook, it will also read crook for any handloads. So it won't really matter because it will be a comparison of relativity which really is what we are after. If the real world number is a couple of hundred less I'm not sure the deer will notice.
    Micky Duck and Borris like this.