Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Load to replicate Hornady 308 factory 150gn SST ammo

Load to replicate Hornady 308 factory 150gn SST ammo

Hi, I'm looking to replicate the Hornady factory load for 150gn SST in 308. Loading for a mate whose rifle apparently likes the factory stuff. Yes he has projectiles.

Any info on loads re powder and charge to come close woukd be welcome. Feel free to PM me if you prefer not to make public

I can chrono 3 of his last factory rounds out of his rifle which is has an 18in suppressed barrel.

I have a couple of suitable 308 powders but prefer not to waste by guessing.

I have either Winchester or Federal LRP, may so have some CCI

Thks
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

sneakywaza I got
    If you make his loads to the same coal as factory in the same pill, 2206H or 2208 will get you identical results. Biff the Winchester primers in the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    If you make his loads to the same coal as factory in the same pill, 2206H or 2208 will get you identical results. Biff the Winchester primers in the bin.
    Ok thanks, specifics on the Win primers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Ok thanks, specifics on the Win primers?
    They have a tendency to detonate around the side of the primer, and that leads to erosion on the face of your bolt that matches the diameter of the primers.
    BSA270 and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    They have a tendency to detonate around the side of the primer, and that leads to erosion on the face of your bolt that matches the diameter of the primers.
    Even new ones? I thought that was a problem from quite a while ago?

Link
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Same here, got some cutting in the bolt face of my .308 courtesy of them. Real bastard considering I'd just purchased 1000

Link
    Hi, I'm looking to replicate the Hornady factory load for 150gn SST in 308. Loading for a mate whose rifle apparently likes the factory stuff. Yes he has projectiles.

Any info on loads re powder and charge to come close woukd be welcome. Feel free to PM me if you prefer not to make public

I can chrono 3 of his last factory rounds out of his rifle which is has an 18in suppressed barrel.

I have a couple of suitable 308 powders but prefer not to waste by guessing.

I have either Winchester or Federal LRP, may so have some CCI

Thks
    I run 45.5 grain 2206h and 150sst in my 16 inch tikka for 2750 fps. Think the 2206h gives better velocity and accuracy for some lads with short barrels.
    Dama dama and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    I run 45.5 grain 2206h and 150sst in my 16 inch tikka for 2750 fps. Think the 2206h gives better velocity and accuracy for some lads with short barrels.
    Primer?

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    That will do it. I run the same but with 150gr NBT. 45.5g is book max from memory so work up to it.
    Can't help with primers other than to say that I have only ever used fed 210 and never had an issue.
    Hunty1 and Jhon like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

The win primer thing is historical now. It was related to a few lots of large primers winchester supposedly got made outsourced over 10 years ago.
    Somewhere i think i have the lot numbers. I quite happily used mine up in cast loads However these old lots keep coming up for sale now and again which perpetuates the myth.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    The win primer thing is historical now. It was related to a few lots of large primers winchester supposedly got made outsourced over 10 years ago.
    Somewhere i think i have the lot numbers. I quite happily used mine up in cast loads However these old lots keep coming up for sale now and again which perpetuates the myth.
    Thank you, I thought I had read somthing to that affect but was not sure. With componets being in such short supply chucking them in the bin is a pretty drastic step!.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Link
    Primer?
    used to use CCI large rifle, last loading session I couldn't find any so used fiochhi large rifle and I can't notice any difference

@Marty Henry. I'd be grateful if you can find the lot numbers. I've got a case of 1000 I was going to use. They're definitely quite old. Cheers

Link
    Name:  Winchester Large Rifle Primers.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  215.6 KB
    RugerM77 likes this.

Link
    That's the lot that gave me issues, only noticed after maybe 50-100 rds after switching from CCI. Purchased around 6 or 7 years ago?
    RugerM77 likes this.