Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Lube Cases?

I have been using one shot. Had 5 stuck out of 78 on Sunday. Got them out but they had a dent in the neck taper ??? F Knows. All previous have been good. Used dies not my own so bought new ones today.
    Got told put 50 in a shopping bag spray them close bag shake it a bit let stand for a minute and even spread has occurred. Ill try it next lot .....
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

If you are going to use One Shot for FLSing best invest in a stuck case remover. The other thing with One Shot is u must make sure it has dried before sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    If you are going to use One Shot for FLSing best invest in a stuck case remover. The other thing with One Shot is u must make sure it has dried before sizing.
    No just neck sizing but no one said anything about drying. Thanks
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

GWH
    Just take 7mmsaum's advice and get a tin of Imperial sizing wax, since ive been using it, never had a problem with a stuck case, prior to the imperial i did.

One little pot basically lasts forever, great value and is the best IMO.

vasoline gets the tick from me....just a smear on your fingers and twirl case in them does job well, rub finger over case mouth leaves wee tad in there to assist that bit too.
    steven likes this.

I use the Dillion spray for 223 cases when FL, i would put 50 into a bag then spray and shake. Necking I only use Graphite powder.
    And for big cases I use Imperial wax
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I just use the RCBS case lube ( I also have a tube of some really old lyman case lube that has lanolin in it) that I got with my reloading kit along with the lube pad does the job for me and I also have a small container of graphite with some lead shot in it I dip my case necks into it to lube the inside of the necks
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

wd40 cheap and works awesome

when you have resized and trimmed put them in the tumbler for a while clean shiny ready to reload
    Blaser and steven like this.

I now use ISW for the serious stuff but prior to that happily used One Shot spray. Never once had a stuck case with it -but- it's a wasteful application process and more messy. The secret to avoiding stuck cases is a shallow block and to shoot down on them at about 30 degrees to make sure some gets inside the necks. You then carefully rotate the whole tray and do the other side.

As for post-sizing brass cleaning, it pays to remove most of the lube, else your media ages quickly. I do this by tossing them into a brushed cotton shirt sleeve and pouring a bit of turps on it. Rolling them round at random angles for about 20 secs gets it all off ready for the tumbler.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Just take 7mmsaum's advice and get a tin of Imperial sizing wax, since ive been using it, never had a problem with a stuck case, prior to the imperial i did.

One little pot basically lasts forever, great value and is the best IMO.
    I've looked at the wax but thought it would be messy to apply. Putting some on a cotton bud for the inside of the neck and then smearing some on the outside. Wouldn't a spray be easier? One squirt on an angle would get both the inside and outside of the necks??

I use long life spray. Seems to work well.

Never had any issues.

lube the first few with imp wax then 1 every 3 or 4, run your waxed finger over the lip to get a little "peel" off into the inside every 5 or so. I think 1 wax will do 8000 rounds a the rate I am going...
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Get bushing dies, little wipe of vasoline And your done, nothing on inside if it worrys you
    Wipe with rag if wanted after sizing

I use the spray can version of "one shot" Put them In a plastic container (plastic coleslaw or margarine) standing up and then just spray over the whole lot on an angle
    I then size and later run them through a media tumbler.
    NEVER EVER use the "pump spray one shot"
    It's completely different product than the spray can version and will result in stuck cases
    I've full length sized many thousands of cases this way using the spray cans with never having had a stuck case

I normally give a good spray then let stand for a couple of minutes and then give another light spray just before I size

I couldn't be bothered with the old fashioned way of lubeing