Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Lupo 30-06 load development "the lone wolf"

Man you can't complain with those results, the only thing I would check when the weather warms up is that the load is still OK, it should be but I wouldn't want to leave some rounds in a hot place and then shoot them.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Man you can't complain with those results, the only thing I would check when the weather warms up is that the load is still OK, it should be but I wouldn't want to leave some rounds in a hot place and then shoot them.
    For sure, was pretty warm day when I did the initial work up full sun at 22plus degrees.
    Today was like 12 degrees and results were pretty much the same.
    But yes I am conscious that SF is known to be temp sensitive. This is why I wasn't fussed on chasing a faster accuracy node, as it may well be ok on a cool day but not so flash on a hot day
    Stoked with that accuracy.
    Mooseman and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Well finally after a week and a half my brass turned up.
    I decided to weigh the Starline to see I it was similar to the Sako brass I have been using for my work up....I wish I hadn't.
    The Sako brass on average weighed 186gn per case and the Starline 195gn per case average.
    So it looks like the Starline brass is thicker which isn't necessarily a problem as I'm not struggling for case capacity but it will be interesting to see if I get an increase in velocity and or pressure.
    I have full length sized the lot and chamfered the necks, I will prime it all later tonight then get some loaded first thing in the morning with the intention to get to the range tomorrow.
    I will stick with my initial plan and load 3x 58.7gn, 3x 59gn and 3x 59.3gn and see what happens

Name:  20211028_150651.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  3.25 MB
    #DANNYCENT

50 cases ready to load in the morning, as an unexpected bonus there was 101 cases in my bag of 100

Name:  20211028_210113.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  5.60 MB
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.
    #DANNYCENT

New brass test loads all sorted unfortunately sick child at home means no range time till the wife gets home

Name:  20211029_130831.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  3.27 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Well the range time resulted in more questions than answers.....
    New brass definitely gives more velocity for less powder but even though my E.S was pretty good over all 3 loads the accuracy was average at best....
    May have to do a full ladder again
    Even my lowest charge of 58.7gn was higher velocity than my 59gn load with the sako brass.
    Will scratch my head and load up a new ladder tomorrow.

Any how pics have E.S and average velocity written on them.

Name:  20211029_192112.jpg
Size:  3.66 MB

Name:  20211029_192117.jpg
Size:  3.66 MB

Name:  20211029_192125.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  4.00 MB
    #DANNYCENT

so the new brass is smaller capacity....thus the heavier....like milserp stuff.

as for the poorer accuracy....buggered if I know what you did.
    BUT you broke golden rule mate....where is you test group with other brass/load to confirm it wasnt somfin else at play???? LOL
    your 59 is still just over inch.....be interesting to see that again with same brass...now twice loaded....fresh brass and the other brass.....see if any difference,you know remove the doubt.....
    you didnt change HOW you were set up rest wise???
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so the new brass is smaller capacity....thus the heavier....like milserp stuff.

as for the poorer accuracy....buggered if I know what you did.
    BUT you broke golden rule mate....where is you test group with other brass/load to confirm it wasnt somfin else at play???? LOL
    your 59 is still just over inch.....be interesting to see that again with same brass...now twice loaded....fresh brass and the other brass.....see if any difference,you know remove the doubt.....
    you didnt change HOW you were set up rest wise???
    Nope no other changes, the sako load shot the same 59gn load well twice with fired then resized brass both times.
    Might take you up on that MD and load 59gn again in fired resized brass, new brass and the sako brass, the E.S was still very good with a 14fps so every chance I may be able to tune the load by fiddling seating depth.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Have you weighed your new brass & how does the weight compare to old brass you were using? I think MD is probably on the money, the new brass is heavier thus thicker walls, less internal capacity reaching pressure earlier and more fps for same powder load. In my 6506ai and different brass (Norma vs RP) there was about 10gn difference in weight of brass and that needed about 1gn difference in powder to compensate (ie find accuracy node).

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Have you weighed your new brass & how does the weight compare to old brass you were using? I think MD is probably on the money, the new brass is heavier thus thicker walls, less internal capacity reaching pressure earlier and more fps for same powder load. In my 6506ai and different brass (Norma vs RP) there was about 10gn difference in weight of brass and that needed about 1gn difference in powder to compensate (ie find accuracy node).
    Yup it's on the previous page of this thread, and similarly there is 9gn difference in weight between the sako brass and the Starline brass with the Starline being heavier and thus likely thicker walls etc.
    It has crossed my mind that maybe I should try dropping my charge weight till I get the same velocity as the sako brass from results already seen above it would seem dropping my charge weight by between 1gn and .7 of a gn should see me in the ball park. I might try this before doing another full ladder
    chainsaw, Micky Duck and Borris like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Banned
    A learned forum member was explaining to me earlier this week that neck tension variations will do this

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    A learned forum member was explaining to me earlier this week that neck tension variations will do this
    The new brass is annealed from factory and then I full length size it all so it is as consistent as it can be. I didn't notice any inconsistencies with the amount of force required to seat projectiles and it is something I pay particular attention too.
    I don't think this is the issue, I am leaning towards the heavier brass theory. Will load up some more tomorrow an see how I get on
    #DANNYCENT

Have you tried necking the case down to .277 then sticking a new barrel on to suit?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Have you tried necking the case down to .277 then sticking a new barrel on to suit?
    It's 2021 now I think it has to be 6.5mm to become beterer

Well range time is precious and nothing gives good consistent data like a comprehensive ladder test....Hopefully
    I have loaded another ladder test with the Starline brass from 57gn to 59.1gn in .3gn increments Hopefully this will give me some better data and results

Name:  20211030_090609.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  3.81 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT