Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lyman 1200 dbs3 powder scales

Lyman 1200 dbs3 powder scales

Anyone use these scales?
    I have some here that were given to me but im having issues zeroing the scales.
    The instructions say to push zero to get a 0.0 reading then hold down zero until cal 20 shows then place the 20g weight on and press zero again, when you take the weight off it is meant to give a weight reading of -306gns but this keeps coming up with -183gns.

Anyone have any ideas.

Ta
    Mal

Try doing it with out the powder pan. Mine weighs 113 grains which is close to the error you are getting.
    From memory the procedure is zero with the empty pan. Remove pan and zero again. Hold zero for five or so seconds until the 20 gram shows on the screen. Carefully sit the supplied 20 gram weight on the scale and press zero again. Remove the weight and press zero again. Finally put the powder pan back on and press zero again. Takes less time to do it the type this instruction
    Last edited by Pnumatix; 25-03-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    geezejonesy likes this.

Is your 20g weight 20 grams or grains and what should it be?
    Try setting the scale to grams if cal weight is grams.
    Other than that scales i used to fix at sea had 3 or 4 different levels of calibration and all but the most basic were locked out buy password etc.
    Could be its suffered an overload and needs more advanced cal.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The weight should be 20 grams. Marked as 20g on the top by the little knob for picking it up. For calibrating leave the scale set in "Grains". 20 grams = 308.64 grains. I just re-read the manual for mine and the procedure is as in my first reply. Tried doing with the pan in place through out but couldn't get it to read -183 no matter what I did.

Also check that some powder grains haven't got stuck under the scale plate.

I have done the zero without the pan and got this error.
    i notice after pressing zero after removing the weight "error" pops up on the screen before reading 0 on the screen

It is the right weight with 20g written on it and i have tryed all settings and can not get the -308.64 read out?
    I can put a 55gn Amax on and it reads 33.

Is it possible to remove the scale table and clean it?

Has it got a switch underneath for 110-220 volts or 50/60 hertz ?

My dps2 does that could be giving issues ?

Have a look & see, also take the silver scale pad off & check there is no powder underneath it, just be gentle

Does the scale pad come off easily?

Plug it through the computers surge protector.
    And they don't like Fluro lights to close.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Have just pulled it down and cleaned where i could, pulled the tray off but no powder in there, it has a 240v 50hz adaptor which is set at 240v although it is not the original adaptor.
    I tried zeroing again with the powder tray and can only get a -300 error so im beat i might send Lyman an email.

A quick update.
    I sent Lyman an email and they believe it may be the power adapter that i have so they are sending me another one to try to see if it is the issue. I hope it is.
    geezejonesy likes this.

Still waiting for it to turn up, posted from the States on the 11th they reckon.
    I want it now!

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Plug it through the computers surge protector.
    And they don't like Fluro lights to close.
    Now i have read this somewhere before ,,,been playing with a hornay lock and load auto powder dispenser and i have a big brand new fluro above it ,,whats the theory behind it again??
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrash View Post
    Now i have read this somewhere before ,,,been playing with a hornay lock and load auto powder dispenser and i have a big brand new fluro above it ,,whats the theory behind it again??
    something to do with the ballist creating a magnetic field.or I could be wrong
    GM may be some help?
    1.Be sure to use the adapter supplied with the scale.
    110V Adapter – Model: A21535C; AC Adapter; Class 2 Transformer
    Input: 120VAC; 60Hz; 7.5W
    Output: 15VAC; 350mA
    220V Adapter – Model: A21531GC; AC Adapter
    Input: 230V; 50Hz
    Output: 15V; 310mA; 4.65VA
    2.Verify the voltage switch on the bottom of the unit is toward the correct voltage (110V for US)
    3.Occasionally wipe the unit’s exterior and over the scale platform with a used non static dryer sheet such as a Bounce or ClingFree to inhibit static electricity.
    4.Fluorescent lights, portable and cellular phones and other electronic scales and appliances can cause erratic readings. This includes close proximity to furnaces and air conditioners.
    5.Scale must be placed on a stable, level surface, free of vibrations.
    6.Stray grains of powder under the platform will also cause the scale to “drift” and give erratic readings. Carefully lift the platform straight up and sweep away any loose powder.
    7.Verify the scale is in grain mode (GN in window) and that it reads 0.0 when calibrated. If any other reading is present, press the UNIT button until it reads 0.0.
    8.Be sure the dispensing tube is snug inside the unit.
    9.Keep out of drafts.
    10.Always allow the unit to stabilize for 24 hours if it has been in storage or out of service for a while.
    11.Empty immediately after using any nitro-based powders such as Tite Group and L’il Gun as this type of powder can damage the plastic parts.
    12.Be sure to use the restrictor plug with the DPS 3 or Upgrade Kit if the scale is overshooting.
    13.The Lyman DPS Electronic Scale is to be used with smokeless gun powder only. The use of any other material will void all warranties.
    Last edited by madjon_; 29-04-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Got the new power adaptor for it today so i hooked it up and gave it a whirl.
    Whoop Whoop it works properly now, so i pulled a bullet and weighed the projectile and powder which all lined up.
    So happy now.
    A great gift from my American friend.