Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Minimum impact velocity of Berger's?

Oh fo sho,

I have seen many, many photos of the amax's performing from .243 up to .284, but my 208's seem to fail miserably.

I have about 800 amaxes here in 3 different calibers now, I definitely have some faith left, and will test them in my 6.5x284 and 7mm08 one day!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Oh fo sho,

I have seen many, many photos of the amax's performing from .243 up to .284, but my 208's seem to fail miserably.

I have about 800 amaxes here in 3 different calibers now, I definitely have some faith left, and will test them in my 6.5x284 and 7mm08 one day!

Chris
    What twist were you running with the amax's..... I know some don't do to well driven hard in fast twist rifles......Can make a huge difference in the end result to the point some cant run them.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Its a 10 twist 300 win mag, going 2700.

I never had an exit hole, on any animal it ever shot, which wasn't that many, maybe 30 odd goats, 4 chamois, one deer that I lost, far too many rabbits to admit to.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Its a 10 twist 300 win mag, going 2700.

I never had an exit hole, on any animal it ever shot, which wasn't that many, maybe 30 odd goats, 4 chamois, one deer that I lost, far too many rabbits to admit to.

Chris
    I had them (208 1:10) exit on goats fine.... some with half the internals as well but never used the RUM on deer. From memory they were doing around 3K, Now have a 1:13 twist barrel and flinging the 168 amax at 3540 but not shot anything other than targets with it but it will be interesting to see how they hold up on goats...could be messy
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Hmmmm.

I put close to 400 rounds down that thing, it shot so well but the bullet performance was way off, the stock was average and it wasn't light enough for my fat spare tyre to handle, so I sold it anyway.

I think the jackets on the 208's could be like the 140 SST's in .270, just a bit too thin.

I invested in barnes for all my guns last week, they will be fine, but I still have heaps of amax and some bergers here to try too, but I think at the end of the day its about using the right tool for the job. Bergers and Amax just aren't ideal for close up shots.

Chris

The barnes will exit just be aware that as they dont fragment(unless you can get some bloody amazing speed out of em) placement is as or more important than with a frangible pill. The advantage is you can put it where you want it almost regardless of what is in the way.(bone guts etc)
    I once witnessed two large hinds shot with the old non tipped barnes. They were about 20y apart and lined up perfectly. On the crease lung shot on both of them from one round,found just under skin on off side of second one. They both went 15-20 yards
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.