Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Mixing powder batches

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Should do 10 years at least if stored correctly.
    Indefinitely is the answer
    I have unique that is 60 + years old. Stores better in the older tins than modern plates tic
    Unless it is clumpy or smells bad it is good to go

I have never found any variation with 748 or 760
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Whats the consensus for stored correctly? I just keep mine in an old fridge. Hoping that'll do the job. Except for my 8lb of RL26, keep that under my matress
    I keep mine in a chillybin to reduce temperature fluctuations, an old fridge probably does the job better.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The end of a powder bottle is a bit of a pain.
    Inevitably it is just out of sync with each bullet batch and each primer batch too.

I try to use up all of one batch until there's less than one cartridge load left, then move to the new bottle and mark the projectiles with felt pen, then try and shoot them off together. I count on the different batches being very similar but like to re sight in pretty soon after changing each batch of any component. Not OCD about it though. In theory different batches could give enough difference in velocity to affect long range (600+yd) trajectory for F class or TR shooting like cyclops is talking about, but for hunting it would be more a matter of harmonics and a zero change from that.

I try to buy powder in at least 1kg at a time to minimise this problem.
    Why did you buy more and start more before you'd finished the last batch ?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Only one of them is open @Bagheera. Use it in 4 different loads so picked more up when ever I could.
    Bagheera likes this.

I've never had any difference in performance between 2208 batches.
    Great powder.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

My standard practice goes something like;
    buy a pound (500g or a kg if that's all I can get)

Do load development, once I get to a point where I know I'll be using that powder even if it's not a final load then

Buy a couple of years worth in as many different batches as I can find.

Mix all the batches together then put them back into original containers.

Check load is still all good, sometimes I'll start lower if I'm on the upper limit of pressure.

Once I get down to about 6 months supply I'll buy more and add it to the bottle, I don't bother changing loads as I figure it won't change much now.

This approach has worked well previously as with a few phone calls to different shops and a bit of driving to pickup powder initially I'd have a few batches and could then just get the local store to order a small amount when I needed it and didn't have to workup loads again.

Over the last 18 months I've run into issues with only reordering with 6 months supply left, by the time I get the new powder I'm all out or the mix is to low and the new batch of powder changes it.
    I also couldn't get any more of the powder I needed after finding a good load for a new rifle, I'll end up just getting a lot of the next batch of it to become available and have to rework loads.

OK, so you’re mixing batches because you cant locate enough of a single batch in a short space of time ?

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Indefinitely is the answer
    I have unique that is 60 + years old. Stores better in the older tins than modern plates tic
    Unless it is clumpy or smells bad it is good to go

I have never found any variation with 748 or 760
    I have just finished this in loads for my 243. Got it for $20 about 4 yrs ago and sat on it. Tried a couple of calibres, 243 loves it goats not so much. I'm guessing its 60yrs or so. On the back, bottom left of pic, it has R33/9/26. I'm not game to say that means 26 Sept 1933 but hey. @grandpamac might know lol

Name:  20220819_190048.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  1.01 MB

Name:  20220819_190130.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  1.07 MB
    Bagheera and Micky Duck like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    I have just finished this in loads for my 243. Got it for $20 about 4 yrs ago and sat on it. Tried a couple of calibres, 243 loves it goats not so much. I'm guessing its 60yrs or so. On the back, bottom left of pic, it has R33/9/26. I'm not game to say that means 26 Sept 1933 but hey. @grandpamac might know lol

Attachment 204079

Attachment 204080
    Greetings All,
    I don't know when Nobels Rifle No1 but they started making smokeless in the 1800's. 60 years ago would be a good guess. The can would be at least 40 years old.
    GPM.
    Jhon likes this.

Im going to agree with you on the date being 26th of 9th 1933...... just because it makes the story all the better.
    Jhon likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters