Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Model 7 7mm08 150gn eldx load development

You certainly won't be disappointed with 2208, it is very good in the 7 mil o latté

I'm using it with 162 ELD-M s in mine and they are going very well. Haven't shot an animal with them yet but very accurate.

Name:  IMG20210728214313.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  2.77 MB

Four good shots and I got excited hence the one on the far right ha ha.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    You certainly won't be disappointed with 2208, it is very good in the 7 mil o latté

I'm using it with 162 ELD-M s in mine and they are going very well. Haven't shot an animal with them yet but very accurate.

Attachment 173700

Always loved the eldms just unobtainable like a lot of things or rediculous prices on any that are.....what speed you getting ?
    #DANNYCENT

Tell me about it, I put off getting another box of the ELD-M far too long and now once I'm out, I'm out. Getting an average of 2620 fps validated out to 400 yards. It's not screaming out of the 20 inch barrel but it's nice to shoot and plenty accurate. I was shooting off a wobbly filing table today so take that into account with the grouping

I'm also messing around with some 120 VMAX at the moment, I'll be smashing some large grass fed hare in a week or so, and hopefully a sneaky sambar or two.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post

Attachment 173700

Are they mag fit loads, or seated out?

Mag fit at 2.835 inches, only just mag fit lol

I have results.....just having late lunch then I'll put up a post, safe to say I'm well pleased 2208 is a go for this rifle
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I have results.....just having late lunch then I'll put up a post, safe to say I'm well pleased 2208 is a go for this rifle
    Nice looking forward to hearing your results
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Here is my charge weight ladder results.....originally I had only loaded up to 42.5gn which is Just over 1gn above book max.....well when I still hadn't hit pressure I went home and loaded up another 2gn above that in .5gn increments
    The 42.5gn load at this point was by far the best so I loaded up 3 more of them to check consistency then continued up the ladder in .5gn steps, this is why there are 6 lots of velocity for the 42.5gn load

Name:  20210729_150903.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  4.22 MB

Sorry about getting sideways pic ....stupid phone
    #DANNYCENT

You'll note I have only done average speeds and es values for some loads, these were the loads that produced the best groups that I felt were worth investigating.
    The lower end of the charge ladder pretty much all shot the same or close to it, groups didn't start to tighten up till I hit 42.5gn
    The es through most loads is pretty good which I put down to my prep and consistent approach to loading....in theory you can tune any load with seating depth but I chose a load that had a good es and decent velocity.
    Strangely enough the hottest load shot a very poor group even though the es was only 12fps, I didn't use this load anyway as it was quite hot and reasonably compressed.
    #DANNYCENT

For now I've settled on 42.5gns
    Which shot a best 3x shot group of .6" @2635fps with an es of 18fps
    Here are the targets.
    Total round count for load development 30 rounds which is not bad for a quick slap together load that shoots .6" groups
    I could tutu further but I'm happy with how it's shooting and I don't have the time.
    It's got more knock down than factory ammo and lower es so should be good out to my max limit.
    Anyway here are my target pics.

Name:  20210729_150832.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  4.00 MB

Name:  20210729_150839.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  4.11 MB

Name:  20210729_151053.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  3.20 MB

I decided on the 42.5gn load for a few reasons, it shot very well, it was not compressed and it was nowhere near as hot as the next best load which I figured is a good safety precaution.
    At no stage did I get any real pressure signs even well above book max but I see no.point in loading up to absolute max when it's just not needed, all that will achieve is shortened barrel life and risk of pressure spikes in warmer weather.
    #DANNYCENT

Here's the streelok data for the load

Name:  Screenshot_20210729-155111_Strelok.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  579.0 KB
    #DANNYCENT

I haven't gained a heap of velocity by using 2208 instead of 2209 but I have achieved what I set out to do, which was to gain a little more velocity with less powder and a load that is not compressed.
    I'm pretty pleased with the results, for what was for me a very quick slap dash load developement.
    The biggest limiting factory for this load was the mag length however it didn't stop me finding a great sub moa load with the awesome 150gn eldx.
    Hopefully take some beasties with it soon.
    muzr257, Tahr, matagouri and 3 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I haven't gained a heap of velocity by using 2208 instead of 2209 but I have achieved what I set out to do, which was to gain a little more velocity with less powder and a load that is not compressed.
    I'm pretty pleased with the results, for what was for me a very quick slap dash load developement.
    The biggest limiting factory for this load was the mag length however it didn't stop me finding a great sub moa load with the awesome 150gn eldx.
    Hopefully take some beasties with it soon.
    Good Shit
    dannyb likes this.

Well done I’m using the same combo in 2 tikka 7-08 but max out at 40.2 for 2685fps that combo shot very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

Bit of time at the lead shed, 80 red tip harbingers....should keep me going for a little bit

Name:  20210729_204504.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  3.82 MB
    Tikka7mm08 and 25 /08 IMP like this.
    #DANNYCENT