Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

My projectiles are being gouged upon seating...

Anybody had this issue? I'm seating flat base .277 interlocks into FL sized, chamfered and deburred cases with a Lee seating die. Am I putting too sharp of an edge on the case mouth or are my projectiles going into the seating die on the piss? Also I've noticed my over all cartridge length seams to vary with my loads. Could this simply be a variation in the lead tips from bullet to bullet? The orgives all seam to line up when observed on the loading block, which I'm guessing is the important bit. I was set on an OAL of 83.35mm for now, but I've had variations go from 82.9-83.42mm. Maybe I'm just being too anal.

Caretaker
    What angle are you putting on your inside chamfer?, I use a VLD chamfer cutter which cuts at a 28/30 degree angle and have never had a problem.

Pass. It's the standard Lee tool. I see it gets pretty shit reviews online. Probably should upgrade

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Pass. It's the standard Lee tool. I see it gets pretty shit reviews online. Probably should upgrade

They are fine, I used to use one with no problems. Just try and chamfer the neck as square as possible, it will aid seating and runout.
    The only way to measure OAL correctly is to use a comparator off the ojive. lead tips will vary as much as you have noticed.
    Proof is in the shooting anyway
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Lyman seems to work well. I had the lee and it was shit hardly cut and left a burr on the top and bottom of the chamfer. This caused the shaving in my instance,I could fix em by running a case neck brush in the drill but since getting the Lyman no more issues.
    Oh and dont over do it! the lyman cuts so much easyer/cleaner than the lee
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I loaded some more rounds and found that it is less severe if I take my time at the seating stage and make sure the bullet goes into the die as straight as possible. But it is still happening. Can't be doing anything for consistency

My load is shooting ok. Fine for hunting at normal ranges anyway. The gouging still pisses me off

Give em arseholes with a bronze brush in a drill inside the neck after chamfering, this removes the slight burr. Or get a lyman or vld
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Cheers Cam, think I'll uprgade