Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: neck sizing

I used to only neck size all my cases for years.
    This is the reason i own Hornady dies as their neck dies are universal ie a 22 cal die will size any .223 dia sized neck.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Greetings All,
    After decades of neck sizing I have recently moved to full length sizing using the Redding competition shellholders for all but my low pressure loads. I also anneal every other load. Low pressure loads for the .303 are neck sized in a Lee Loader and those for the .308 in a Lee Collet die. I have body and bushing neck dies for my SAUM but have not used them much, or the rifle for that matter. I am starting to do my neck expanding when full length sizing as a separate step running the expander into the case rather than pulling it out. Cases are all de capped using punch and base sets prior to any sizing. I am not a fan of the Hornady calibre specific neck dies as the 6.5 one I have grossly oversizes my Norma and Lapua 6.5 x 55 cases
    So my suggestion Micky would be to get a Lee Collet die. The .222 is a low pressure cartridge if loaded to book velocities compared to the .223. I would also neck anneal after, at the most, two firings as spring back of the case necks will result in loose projectiles if the necks are allowed to get too hard.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

well I just had to try it....as only had 1 single .222rem case on hand not a huge sample....trim length spot on the 1.7" required had to back the lock ring right totop of thread to enguage die to shell holder and managed to squeaze in .134" so 1/8th" so nope not really enough to work without taking to base of perfectly good die with grinder etc.... well Nigel it was worth a crack....even if someone else got to eat the cheezel... a good fellow is sending me an incomplete .222rem whackamole set so will be at least able to see how we go using that...some how or another....
    hmmm LEE are seemingly a good company to deal with...I wonder if all my good words about thier gear other than the gritty, toothpaste shit, case jamming, die wrecking, hair pulling, turn air blistering blue swearing, case lube/glue has earnt me enough brownie points the ymay send me some replacement bits from out the back store room????
    75/15/10 black powder matters

anyone have a .222 FLR die sitting idel and want a .223 neck die as a swap?????

loaded up a dozen rounds today by resizing using whackamole....and looked at my unused neck die and the temptation to whip 1/4" off the bottom of it with bench grinder is very strong indeed...
    seating is easy...just used the .223 seater screwed in a bit further.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Post on the Buy / Sell thread, bet you’ve got one inside a week
    Micky Duck likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !