Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neck tension

Neck tension

Loaded 30 rounds yesterday all cases full length resized. However I had 5 rounds left over from last ladder test that I pulled the projectiles from to recover the powder and reuse and reload. I decided to run them through my neck size die based on my thought (right or wrong) that cause of the projectiles they needed to be run through the die again. After i did that it dawned on me that these 5 had their necks sized by a different die than the others. My dad’s saying “measure twice cut once” coming into play here.
    So decided to run the other 25 already full length sized cases through the neck die so hopefully all are consistent.

Keen on the thoughts of more experienced than me - was that the right thing to do or am I overthinking things?

Greetings @AMac,
    As the five rounds have not been fired they will be ever so slightly different to those that have regardless of what you do to them. Whether this makes any difference in the real world is open to question. I would be more inclined to make sure that your cases are kept in batches tat have been fired the same number of times and in the same rifle. Firing stretches and works the neck generally more than resizing or neck sizing unless your dies grossly oversize the neck. To be on the safe side I would keep the five separate until they have been fired when they can re-join their mates. Generally a case that has had its projectile pulled will have less neck tension than when freshly resized so you were right to resize them.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Could it be possible that your FLS die applies more neck tension than your neck die, I can't remember which way around mine are. Did you give them a measure?

Thanks Grandpamac - The pulled ones had been fired previously and were on their second firing.

Charliehorse - no i didn't think to measure them and they all have powder and projectiles now.

Just shoot em . Will make no noticeable difference in the bush.
    As above keep your cases in batches, I weigh all cases, then batch them accordingly . Ull be surprised at how much difference there can be. Lapua not so much , but had some remington 223 that was 25- 35 gr different , therefore thicker thinner necks , therefore difference in neck tension
    Lee collet dies still best imo