Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Neck tension after pulling projectiles?

Neck tension after pulling projectiles?

Hey team,
    I loaded 15 rounds with a massive jump, 5 groups of three with different powder weights (around a node i was keen to explore). The lowest weight group produced pressure signs, so I called it quits. Now for the others I've just knocked the projectile out a bit and reseated the projectile to a coal which is more sensible.
    Should I expect a performance difference due to knocking the projectiles out and reseating instead of reforming the case first in a die?
    Cheers

If I "'pull" projectiles neck size case after. If you have pressure signs with your lightest load would start again with a lighter powder charge.
    Oldbloke likes this.

Thanks tetawa. I know it's all good with other weights with longer coal, have shot before with no pressure signs 1 gr over where I am now. As I understand it, pressure signs can happen when compressing the powder (deeply seated). Is that correct?

From personal experience , I've tried this . I didn't get good results , others I'm sure will have experienced no problems From what I’ve read over the years , the amount of neck tension in itself is of little importance , consistent neck tension however is .
    My advice would be as @tetawa gave , I'd add resizing . With care the primers can be reused .

I do this with a lee collect neck sizing die, of which I have ground off the decapping pin.
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiswede View Post
    Thanks tetawa. I know it's all good with other weights with longer coal, have shot before with no pressure signs 1 gr over where I am now. As I understand it, pressure signs can happen when compressing the powder (deeply seated). Is that correct?
    To a degree maybe but seated deep generally allows pressure to escape forward before the projectile engages in the rifling
    tetawa likes this.

Thanks team, will pull and resize.

Just remove the decapping pin and the primers can stay put. I'm just going through this now with some pulled rounds.

Have pulled 20 recently and reloaded with the correct powder and tested to see how they grouped. So, pulled projectie and then powdered with no sizing. Shot pretty close to my standard recipe but instead of touching they were atleast an inch and slightly right. Think they'll end up being the bush load

Jus
    Can pull the projectile, dump the powder and tip water into case to kill the primer if you’re worried about decapping a live primer..

Never mind worrying about killing the primer, that is the most expensive part of the whole bullet at the moment....
    caberslash and shananah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    If I "'pull" projectiles neck size case after. If you have pressure signs with your lightest load would start again with a lighter powder charge.
    Exactly what I do. If you don't have a neck die. Use a FLS die screwed out about 1 turn. It will size about half the neck. Works for me.
    Don't remove the primer as mentioned just remove the pin
    And water will never make a primer inert. It's much harder than you think.
    outlander and shananah like this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Quote Originally Posted by Jus View Post
    Can pull the projectile, dump the powder and tip water into case to kill the primer if you’re worried about decapping a live primer..
    @Jus How long do you leave the water in to make the primer inert? Have you done this?

I've done this and found nothing exceptional compared to rounds that have been just seated, pulled using hornady cam die then reseated to correct depth.

I have had issues with exceptionally clean necks and bullets combined with tight neck tension leads to "cold welding/ sticking" somewhat where they can take exceptionally high forces to separate the copper from brass.

Jus
    Yep I’ve done it. Literally just dump some water down the case and it kills the primer. I’ve deprimed cases within 5 mins of tipping water in the case. Just shake the water out as good as you can so it doesn’t go all up in the sizing die..