Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Neck turning

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Puffin, I understand your concern.
    My concern is not foremost about accuracy but about safety around tight necks.
    I'm currently looking around at the available reamers for 6.5x47. The reamers where I know the manufacturer are all PTG and there appear to be 2 different profiles, one with a tighter neck (0.292" ) and the other wider (0.2945). Loaded rounds using Lapua brass are 0.290 across. I think you would need to be very careful with just 0.001" all-around clearance. For me the narrower chamber would dictate skimming the necks to take a loaded round down to 0.289" minimum, but I'm interested to see what others think is a safe neck clearance margin. I think most would accept the wider reamer as "no turn" for brass that gave a 0.290" neck for a loaded round.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    The same for using bushing dies for this step where a bushing size may need to be purchased specifically to take the necks down to be a snug fit on the mandrel.
    Forgot to add that with a bushing die not being able to size right up to the neck-shoulder junction then not all the neck can be turned so the case will end up with a donut. Really need a conventional die just for preparing the cases for neck turning !

Whats the best way to measure neck tension?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Whats the best way to measure neck tension?
    If you go to the Orient, I can recommend a few places to relieve it😆

Can't really measure the tension per say but you measure a outside Dia at the neck of a loaded round and size your necks from there using the required bushings.

My chamber has a neck Dia cut of .296
    I use a .292 bushing to achieve the best results in my setup if that makes sense. Doesn't matter imo how tight or loose you go as long as it is consistent.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 23-04-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    Blaser likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

You can keep the side valves bro

Outside diametre sounds pointless if the wall thickness isn't the same? Wouldnt inside diametre be better? I dont know what im talking about incase you hadnt noticed

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    You can keep the side valves bro

Outside diametre sounds pointless if the wall thickness isn't the same? Wouldnt inside diametre be better? I dont know what im talking about incase you hadnt noticed
    You are right but unless you buy an internal reamer you have no way of controlling that. I ream all my necks but don't turn the outsides. Bushing takes care of that in my case.

You are supposed to measure the outside Dia of loaded round and select a bushing .002 under that to give optimum tension.

Puffin and BRADS like this.

And some times when you've turned your necks got the right bushing annealed ya brass checked with a million different gadgets but are in a hurry to go hunting.........I can still fuck it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    And some times when you've turned your necks got the right bushing annealed ya brass checked with a million different gadgets but are in a hurry to go hunting.........I can still fuck it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha Ha try and use the wrong die?
    Looks like you got it stuck when seating?

Annealed finger? Or was that from the aisian tension relief?
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You are right but unless you buy an internal reamer you have no way of controlling that. I ream all my necks but don't turn the outsides. Bushing takes care of that in my case.

You are supposed to measure the outside Dia of loaded round and select a bushing .002 under that to give optimum tension.

So is .002 the goods? If i do it the cheapo way with calipers my internals are .004 so for the 7mm its .280 sized and .284ish on a fired case????

R93
    So they say. It works for me but as long as your neck tension is consistent it doesn't matter imo.

Gibo, if you really want to neck turn for a hunting rifle, then just do a light shave off of the high spots, say 40-70% of the outside neck surface then a bushing die, this is what I've done in the past.
    Now if you are going to do this then you might as well weight sort your brass (anything that is say outside -/+ 3% of the average use for Foulers, practice ) uniform the primer pocket depth & deburr the inside of the primer hole. It's just about having a batch of consistent brass.
    Gibo, nevereadyfreddy and kidmac42 like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Gibo, if you really want to neck turn for a hunting rifle, then just do a light shave off of the high spots, say 40-70% of the outside neck surface then a bushing die, this is what I've done in the past.
    Now if you are going to do this then you might as well weight sort your brass (anything that is say outside -/+ 3% of the average use for Foulers, practice ) uniform the primer pocket depth & deburr the inside of the primer hole. It's just about having a batch of consistent brass.
    thats basically what i do, but i do anneal my necks erry firing
    #BallisticFists

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @Gibo If you want to have sleepless nights over reloading & really fall into the dark side, buy a concentricity gauge
    not all concentricity gauges are created equal.... most are just a royal pain in the bum to use. Accuracy One and 21st Century have good designs.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    not all concentricity gauges are created equal.... most are just a royal pain in the bum to use. Accuracy One and 21st Century have good designs.
    My mates a racecar engineer/fabricator. He made it