Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Need help to settle and arguement

Hi Big Red

Your geometrical reasoning is not correct but yov've got the good sense to SMell a rat. AII
    power to you for knowing yourself and getting to the bottom of it!

Usual point of impact :
    Zero inch high at 200
    Two inch high at 100

Actual point of impact at 100 : 6 inches high

He's out by 4 inches at 100

He will be 8 inches out at 200.

No need for argument.

If you want to be sighted in for 200 then you need to shoot at 200.

Try firing a 5 shot group at 200 and see where it goes. Then fire another at 100 and see where that is (and how big it is). If your groups turn out to be around an inch at 100 and around 2 inch at 200 then you can adjust on 3 shot groups to get sighted in and use 3 shot groups next time. Otherwise you have some uncertainty exactly where your rifle actually is shooting on average and you should rely on 5 shots at a time. Seems like a lot of factory ammo but better than shooting 3 on target and missing two at an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    Bollocks, looks like I owe a box of beer and have to put my tail between my legs. Might just wait till he's back from a trip on sunday before telling him though
    Buy him a box of Waikato ...youl still win the war
    jakewire and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    So I need help.

To cut a long story short I'm currently having an argument with my hunting buddy about how far out our rifles are. Mine's out, I took i big knock and needs sighting in I know that.

Not sure if he's having sympathy pains but says at 100m he's 6 inches high. That's fine we both agree. However where the argument starts is if he's 6 inches high at 100m, how high is he at 200m? We both normally sight in spot on at 200m and for arguments sake are 2 inches high at 100m. Then the shit hit the fan and all sort of threats have been made.

I'll admit I don't know enough about ballisitics and physics to work equations out, i buy factory ammo and use the info on the back of the box for bullet drop etc. By my reckoning if he's 6 inches high at 100m, and normal bullet drop of 2 inches over 200m, he should be 4 inches high at 200m. I'm hoping that I'm not a complete moron here but he reckons that at 2 inches high at 100m, he's 8 inches or more high at 200m. I'm struggling to see how, but like i said don't know loads about this, if someone could explain in simple terms who's right I'd really appreciate it. I'm hoping i'm on the winning side and save myself a box of beer.

If it helps, he fires a 6.5X55, hand loads but I don't know bullet weight/grain weight.

Cheers
    going by norma ballistics 6.5x55 140gr nosler partition muz/v 2690 6"high at 100yrd = zero at 337yrd high 7.99" at 200yrd

Name:  2017-11-29.png
Views: 133
Size:  152.1 KB
    Last edited by mucko; 29-11-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    gadgetman and Puffin like this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/