Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: New .27 calibre, .277 Fury..

I think I will just stick with my 270. It does the same thing and I like simple. It reflects me Looks like another bunch of new 270 owners on the horizon. I love that the military have tested everything and after millions spent in research, have arrived at the conclusion that the .277 calibre is best overall. You 270 knockers will love that ay Go on Mr Songhurst. Go buy one. You know you want to..................

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    OK, so its a bit heavier than the standard weight Sako 85 or Tikka T3 with 22" barrels and a bit more expensive than the Sako (benchmark for accurate midweight quality hunting rifles in NZ).

But: It has a folding stock with adjustable butt and cheekpiece.
    A carbon foreend might make it more elegant for pure hunting
    Ideally, I'd like steel component in one piece from the bolt lug recesses to where the barrel bears in and then up to the picatiiny rail.

I suppose shotgun shells have metal base and plastic case ...
    It will be interesting to see whether concentricity is even a relevant measurement with a plastic case.
    Rifles with alloy receivers generally have the bolt locking into the barrel like the Rosler Titan. The original article describes and shows a Brass case, not plastic, with a stainless head which seems far more logical if 80,000 psi is the target. Running a fast burning powder is a simple option for the short barrel IF you can live with the increase in peak pressure which is the issue they seemed to have solved with the new case and rifle design and I dont think they would care about the percentage of powder burnt at all. No idea what they've done with the primer or if these cases will even be re loadable, there is a huge market for factory ammunition.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    I love that the military have tested everything and after millions spent in research, have arrived at the conclusion that the .277 calibre is best overall. You 270 knockers will love that ay
    Mutter mutter mutter.
    dannyb and Hiawatha like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I love the 7mmRM in theory. I just cant afford to run one as a target rifle. I think the same would apply to this new cal.

Wonder how long before we see one in stores . Besides 277 sig fury sounds way cooler than 270 win

If this turns out to work as they say it is a massive leap forward in firearms ballistics technology, not just another Creedmore.
    I'd be highly skeptical if it wasn't Sig putting it out, they are making good stuff at the moment.
    This would certainly be a perfect alrounder for NZ conditions and even better designed for short barrels. Also throw in bulk milsurp ammo supply.
    Ticks all the boxes.

Wonder how it would go in a longer barrel say 24 inch ? Maybe now the 277 will get some better bullet options and some new ones ,

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    Wonder how it would go in a longer barrel say 24 inch ? Maybe now the 277 will get some better bullet options and some new ones ,
    Much better in a longer barrel, but the real advantage for us is they are scientifically setting up for short barrel use special powders. This has long been one of main thread topics on here is sharing data on improving short-barrel performance of various calibres through experimentation of handloading.

Whilst I like handloading, if could by bulk cheap off shelve quality ammo tailored to rifle I would also do this.