Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Steelisreal

Thread: New brass

New brass

Might b a stupid question but do u need to FL resize new brass b4 use or just load it never delt with new brass b4

No such thing as a stupid question when it comes to making safe, accurate ammo!

You could try chambering some cases straight out of the packet to see if they fit easily. In factory standard chambers this should be the case. If you've got a custom fitted barrel/chamber then this is an important step.

Running the cases through a sizing die can help to get rid of damaged case mouths and out of round necks at a minimum. It should even up your neck tension too, all of which should help to improve the consistency of your ammo compared to just shoving primer, powder and bullet in untouched brass and hoping for the best!

To summarise - yes!

Now depending on your needs there are other steps you could perform at this point - depends entirely on how far down the rabbit hole you've gone ��
    Husky1600, dannyb and janleroux like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I emailed ADI about this. They said sizing not needed, but can size if you want.
    I neck size new brass, there are always a few that have out of shape mouths from being transported.

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    Might b a stupid question but do u need to FL resize new brass b4 use or just load it never delt with new brass b4
    Not all brass as created equal. Some brands comes out of the factory where they are manufactured with tighter tolerances and others not so much. How they are packaged when transported play another part.

For me, seeing that I can not alway afford the top quality stuff, I anneal, full length size and trim all my new brass the same way I do it with multi-fired brass. This removes uncertainties in deformed pieces, burrs and get the neck tension all the same. This strategy served me well thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you see, is what you get!

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    Depends on the brass.

I've never sized new brass before use - Norma .233 & Lapua Palma .308.

I may have been lucky or not. That's my experience.

You often find the odd dented mouth on new brass. All I ever do is run an expander mandrel through before loading.