Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Newbie advice

All comes down to how much you want to spend, volume to reload, and not just in a batch but over time ie will this be suitable for future calibres or the like. Probably in that order too.

I tried to do it cheaply but most advice seemed to point me in the direction of replacing the cheap stuff with something more robust down the track. It stung a little at the time but I went with the Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloader kit. Fairly comprehensive for a newbie like me, I have no regrets spending the bit extra. Good luck.

Greetings AWBates,
    Here are my current loads for the .308 and .303 that work well for me. For the .308 I have been loading the Norma 150 grain semi pointed projectiles for hunting since the early eighties. Cases are either Norma or CAC and charged with 46 grains of Dupont IMR4064 with Federal 210 primers in my Remington 700 (560 mm barrel) these chronograph 2,800 fps. AR2208 (Varget) is close to the same speed and the Hodgdons online data shows similar velocity for Varget and IMR4064. This is a near max load so lighter charges should be tried first. Recently a Bergara single shot .308 appeared in the cupboard. I am loading a reduced load for this one with Hornady 150 grain spire points or round noses. Currently the charge is 38 grains of AR2206H with Federal 210 primers in either CAC or Winchester cases. I used this load in the 700 for some time as a target load and they chronograph 2,350 fps in that rifle. I may up the load to 40 grains of the same powder now that the rifle has a suppressor. Max would be around 45 grains of AR2206H with the 150 grain.
    For the .303 I have been loading 174 grain Hornady round noses in CAC and 1942 DI cases. The charge is 32 grains of AR2206H with Federal 210 primers. These chronograph about 2,080 fps. I have deliberately kept the pressures low in the .303 so I can continuously neck size the cases which gives excellent life. I have also tried 150 grain Norma projectiles with 34 grains of the same powder for about the same speed.
    Some may tell you that projectiles will bounce off deer at these velocities but Bell shot several hundred elephants using military ammo with a 215 grain full patch projectile at about 2,000 fps.
    All of the above loads are accurate in my rifles.
    All the best Grandpamac.
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings AWBates,
    Here are my current loads for the .308 and .303 that work well for me. For the .308 I have been loading the Norma 150 grain semi pointed projectiles for hunting since the early eighties. Cases are either Norma or CAC and charged with 46 grains of Dupont IMR4064 with Federal 210 primers in my Remington 700 (560 mm barrel) these chronograph 2,800 fps. AR2208 (Varget) is close to the same speed and the Hodgdons online data shows similar velocity for Varget and IMR4064. This is a near max load so lighter charges should be tried first. Recently a Bergara single shot .308 appeared in the cupboard. I am loading a reduced load for this one with Hornady 150 grain spire points or round noses. Currently the charge is 38 grains of AR2206H with Federal 210 primers in either CAC or Winchester cases. I used this load in the 700 for some time as a target load and they chronograph 2,350 fps in that rifle. I may up the load to 40 grains of the same powder now that the rifle has a suppressor. Max would be around 45 grains of AR2206H with the 150 grain.
    For the .303 I have been loading 174 grain Hornady round noses in CAC and 1942 DI cases. The charge is 32 grains of AR2206H with Federal 210 primers. These chronograph about 2,080 fps. I have deliberately kept the pressures low in the .303 so I can continuously neck size the cases which gives excellent life. I have also tried 150 grain Norma projectiles with 34 grains of the same powder for about the same speed.
    Some may tell you that projectiles will bounce off deer at these velocities but Bell shot several hundred elephants using military ammo with a 215 grain full patch projectile at about 2,000 fps.
    All of the above loads are accurate in my rifles.
    All the best Grandpamac.
    Amazing help. Thanks everybody!

The challenger kit is better than the anniversary kit, better stronger O-press.

$299 from Gunworks.

Ditto to the positive comments on the lee loader kits. Except if you are wanting to start with both .308 and .303 or larger volumes then a press and die kit is the way to go.

I do wonder why you want to go for both .303 and .308 if you are wanting to reload. You can make handloads to suit all your needs with either calibre. Sell your .303 or your .308 and buy reloading gear for the remaining occupant in your safe.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Sell your .303 or your .308...
    Blasphemy!
    Never tell someone to sell a rifle - unless it's because you want to buy it

northdude
    Or your his wife probably wants to load for both because he can

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    The challenger kit is better than the anniversary kit, better stronger O-press.

$299 from Gunworks.

Ditto to the positive comments on the lee loader kits. Except if you are wanting to start with both .308 and .303 or larger volumes then a press and die kit is the way to go.

I do wonder why you want to go for both .303 and .308 if you are wanting to reload. You can make handloads to suit all your needs with either calibre. Sell your .303 or your .308 and buy reloading gear for the remaining occupant in your safe.
    Wow has my wife asked you to comment??? I would not want to part with any of my 303 collection but prefer to bush bash with my howa 1500!
    Thanks, I will check out the challenger kit
    grandpamac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AWBates View Post
    Wow has my wife asked you to comment??? I would not want to part with any of my 303 collection but prefer to bush bash with my howa 1500!
    Thanks, I will check out the challenger kit
    Quite Right AWBates,
    You can replace your Howa with a new one at any decent fire arms shop. Your .303 rifles are irreplaceable, especially if they have a personal history with you as I suspect they do. One of my .303 rifles was previously owned by a now departed friend. Your reasoning sounds good to me.
    Regards Grandpamac.