Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nobel #1

Nobel #1

Has anyone got any load data for Nobel #1 in 6.5 x 55 using 129grn mate is loading an old sweed with it his old loads are letting gas past the neck and blackening the cases so does anyone have load data??

I'm most likely wrong but I think that means there's not enough pressure and the brass isn't forming into the chamber properly and that's why the gas can seep back

yea that is my thought just want to check his loads

Sounds like low pressure for sure. Primers will not be flattened at all, the firing pin dent will be rounded.
    These loads are from a Cyril Waterworth (Aussie) book from the 70s. closest bullet weights are 120 starting load 36 gr max 40 or for a 139 gr start 33 gr max 37gr. Would like to see his load data.

P38
    My old Nick Harvey Manual (circa 1984) has Nobel Loads listed for the following.
    6.5 Japanese
    6.5 Italian Carcano
    6.5 x 54 Mannlicher Schoenauer
    and
    6.5 Remington Magnum

Unfortunately there's none listed for 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser.

Internet searches for Nobel power is also not very helpful.

Cheers
    Pete

Yea have done a search my self and came up empty. At the moment he is loading 36grn with 129 grn SST primer is very rounded and he is seating way out to reach the lands so should be a mild load. However he was doing a ladder test 34 up to 38 and 35 punched a primer so not sure what he did there although he did crimp the cases to try and stop the gas coming back, maybe a bad idea??

Re reading the original post it says old loads does the ammunition have some age on it, or does the powder? after about 20 years or so smokeless can start to deteriorate this affects burn rate and power. Has he tried other powders I use 35 gr of AR2208 behind a 140 gr prohunter in my 98 Carl Gustav it gets the job done.

Thanks for that yes it is over 20 years old so may need to ditch it. I have 2209 and N160 he might be better trying.

Unless you have a vast quantity of Nobels I would not bother going any further with it. If for example you only have 1 can it is just not worth the effort of developing a load for it. Nobels was excellent powder and I used Nobels #2 with great success in my 308s for many years until it ceased to be available. Somewhere I have the full set of Nobels loading manuals - just cannot put my hands on them at present. My last lot of #2 I used was 20 years old and was still OK. If you are going to use it check for a sweet smell and shine a wee torch inside the can looking for rust. My last cans had rust on the outside rims on the base of the cans but were perfect inside.

Yup, got given a can of Nobels Glascow no 80 shotgun powder, packed by CAC, distributed by Ammunition house. Brown fumes when lid taken off so contents dumped. Can is in the collection must be round 40years old

Yea i have talked him into dumping it cause i have a part tin of 2209 for him to try.

57JL
    2209 min 40gr max 45gr for 129 gr projectiles load data from nick harvey's reloading manual seventh edition hope that helps just be carful of max loads