Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Non-exploding Savage

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    VC, here you go

Attachment 30506

James, I'm going to try 7mmSaum's trick with projectile jammed into lands, just start load to make it safe(r) and see. What can I say, I'm a recycler
    OK. Put them in the metal recycle bin then.
    Talk about "gorse pockets"
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

This may be a stupid suggestion but it may pay to mike the bullets you're using. Trying to poke a larger one down the tube would cause that.
    I have seen this in a .308 loaded with an 8mm bullet. The loaded bullets weren't obvious but on firing it was and the cases were self decapping. If the rifle has a long lead or the bullet is set deep an oversize pill will seem to load ok.
    It can happen with factory ammo these are from an old box of win .308, one has a .243 headstampName:  IMG_0418.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  903.5 KBName:  IMG_0420.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  862.1 KB that could have been embarrassing

ebf
    No, not a stupid suggestion at all Mart Henry.

Definitely .284 projectiles, I've just gone to check them. It was a hottish load of what was supposed to be 2208, and my mistake made it 2206H.

Lucky for my the rifle is still in one piece, and only the case is stuffed. I've pulled all the projectiles and replaced powder with 2208, so should be all good now.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

No, not a stupid suggestion at all Mart Henry.

Definitely .284 projectiles, I've just gone to check them. It was a hottish load of what was supposed to be 2208, and my mistake made it 2206H.

Lucky for my the rifle is still in one piece, and only the case is stuffed. I've pulled all the projectiles and replaced powder with 2208, so should be all good now.
    What technique will you use to salvage the stuffed case ???
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    What technique will you use to salvage the stuffed case ???
    Squash by repeatedly bashing it with a hammer which is what I do with any cases that are a bit dodgy
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    Squash by repeatedly bashing it with a hammer which is what I do with any cases that are a bit dodgy
    I thought it was just me that did things like that.
    So maybe I'm normal after all, or both of us are....
    I'll have another beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    I thought it was just me that did things like that.
    So maybe I'm normal after all, or both of us are....
    I'll have another beer.
    I mainly do that if I am at the range just incase anyone who takes brass from the rubbish for reloading does not end up taking a case that could potentially cause them injuries as well as damage to their firearm at home it just goes in the rubbish bin.
    Sideshow likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Not sure I should be admiting this, but stupid lapse in concentration saw me using 2206H for some 7mm08 rounds rather than 2208.... One day when I am brave I'll get someone with Quickload to tell me what the pressure was for that load...

Things got a bit "interesting" during test shooting yesterday. Bolt very heavy to lift, got it open, um - no primer ! And a textbook extractor mark on the base... yikes

Guess who is pulling about 75 projectiles today ?

Two strange questions:

a) Is there any (cheapskate) way to fireform cases to my chamber without using projectiles ? Maybe some type of cardboard wad or plug ? Do I need to use normal powder, or can I use trailboss etc?

b) I have gotten losts of different cases from chrome and mossie (thanks guys). Some of them are a bit short in the shoulder, so what is happening when I try to fireform them is that the primer is getting a solid hit, but not igniting. I think the case is moving forward in the chamber to headspace and the primer is not getting a solid enough tap. Is there some sneaky way of makeing these cases go bang, or do I biff them ?
    Seems a bit strange that the cases would be short - all the ones I gave you have been through my rifle (Ruger Hawkeye) at some point. There isnt any range pickups either.
    I love all animals.........especially with gravy

@ebf I done this too a wee while back. This is still my load though. I think the bore was that dirty it spiked. No signs at all now.

Name:  Primer Popper.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  315.2 KB
    gadgetman likes this.

@Gibo +10 necromancy skillz G

Huk
    Wellll go the mighty SAVAGE didnt blow up eh take note all you non believers
    gadgetman, ebf, blake and 1 others like this.

northdude
    VC, here you go

Attachment 30506

James, I'm going to try 7mmSaum's trick with projectile jammed into lands, just start load to make it safe(r) and see. What can I say, I'm a recycler
    I had that problem with my ar same powder charge just used different brass popping primers out and extractor mark

ebf
    A+ for effort @Gibo
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I dunno about that Privi brass, I have had a high percentage of neck splits on factory ammo in a .308 (Rem M700 so a reasonably tight chamber but not a custom obviously). Some of the cases are quite variable for weight as well.

Mate has a 7mmRM and reports similar results, now thinks Privi is garbage ammo and won't use it. I guess there's more people that use it and find it's fine for them but for me the worst results from factory ammo by a country mile.

Of course, that won't help a reload that's oops'd. As far as the mixed cases, not worth it unless you batch and work up for each case otherwise you might find similar results just from the difference in case capacities...
    I found that the PPU was really hard to chamber in my Parker Hale, full length size and reloaded was fine though, hopefully next go through just neck sizing will do the trick