Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Nosler 125gn Ballistic Tips in 30-06

Looking at trying 125 gn Ballistic tips in 30-06.
    Have used 165/8 grain no problem.
    Interested in trying the lighter weight ones.

I use to use 125 sierra or 130 speer in my 30/06. From memory 60gr 2209, never had a chronograph back then. They were awesome on goats. Never shot a deer with them though.

I'm using them in the 308 at the moment, they don't seem to have any trouble killing deer and goats.

Have witnessed two bad results with the lighter BT’s driven hard from a 3006, both on the same day. Now in both cases I wouldn’t solely blame the bullet but without the animal I guess we will never know.

Sika number one was a hind spooked from a patch of windfall which made the unusual mistake of taking one last look before reaching the safety of the pepper wood. A shot to the shoulder at 20m dropped it yet it managed to get back up and depart the scene. We found splinters of bone, a bit of blood and hair but never found that deer. Poor girl.

Sika number two was spotted later that afternoon while sidling around some promising head guts. A large stag (probably the biggest we have seen in Clements) was ripping down broadleaf with his antlers in a gut opposite to us. A well placed shot to the base of the neck sent him tumbling down a steep face. To our horror the c*#t got back up and fucked off. Range was approximately 150m.

We spent hours tracking those two deer and never caught up with either of them, both were on their feet.

I was hunting with a friend of the old mans who was a very experienced hunter and had shot a lot of deer. He usually didn’t have to administer a second shot from the ole 30 o. Prior to his experiment with the lighter BT’s he had been using 150 grainers and has ever since without issue.

Now I know I haven’t been at all helpful but thought I’d share anyway. It still sluts me to this day!

Banned
    I have used 125 BTs and now ABs in the 308 and 140 BTs and ABs in the 270 . The ABs are a totally different animal. Highly recommend them although a 125gn wouldn't be my choice in a 30-06
    Last edited by Brenick; 03-09-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: adding

They work well in 308 or 3006 on a well placed side shot through the ribs. Any other type of shooting (through big bones , 3/4 shot...etc) forget about it.
    How ever in the 300 whisper or blackout, at around 2350 fps, they are working extremely well with nice deep penetration..

Friwi

I used the 125BTs in my 308 at 3050fps, the perfect projectile for Fallow & Goats, if you don't mind big holes, puts them down very well, unlike heavier, harder projectiles.

I would not recommend them for bigger animals unless slowed down like in the 300 Blackout etc.

Putting them through a 30-06 etc at even higher velocities will produce even more explosive impacts which won't be desirable on bigger animals.

Thanks for the comments guys.Give me something to think about

Once tried some aluminium projectiles that were 73 grains from memory, or something like that. And BOY! Did they scream!!