Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Ok 6mm guys, let's go!

I actually kind of agree @Wingman. As we have discussed there is a paucity of 6mm bullets in the high BC 105-110gr range that one could describe as a hunting bullet ideal for our typical thin-skinned medium game. You seen the outcomes of the 108gr ELD-M on deer and goats 200-400m, whilst they’ve been knocking everything over no problem there’s slightly nagging doubt that the bullet is tough enough to deal with a full on hit to the humerus bone.

But with that said my point of aim is for the high shoulder so if it’s hitting on the leg bone it means I’m too low.

I haven’t tried the 103 grain ELDX yet, lots of reports that it’s a very finicky bullet. The TGK Gamechanger is probably too tough for lung shots that miss the scapula (the ELD-M is perfect for this). Though now Sierra has produced 100 grain version of the TGK I am tempted to try it especially as they seem to have come down a lot in price. What would be nice is a Nosler BT in the 105gr range, with a suitable BC but with that classic heavy base that the ELD-M doesn’t have. Frangible in the top half but capable of pushing right through.

Anyway our new friend in the Northland needn’t worry about pink gin sipping Jafas, he’ll have this Lion Brown swilling wannabe shepherd to worry about if he carries on with that malarkey. Anyway, soon enough he’ll work out he’s got bigger problems than Creedmoor shooters, when he realises he hasn’t got anything decent to shoot with his .243AI where he lives.

Boaraxa and Larrygoat like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Look at 6-284 - Easily done from 6.5-284 Brass.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Try the 95VLD ( Targex similar) and shoot them in the chest, big Reds, bull Tahr and Fallow drop on the spot, not had one go more than 5m. 90 and 105 Speer Hot Cor, the Speer 100 Grandslam are decent killers, lots of useful .243 bullets about for standard twist rates.
    Yup, I’d shoot those in a 10” twist .243, maybe not the Berger cos I don’t like them but anyway, where they fall down for longer range is BC. The whole point of the fast twist and longer throat is to allow for the length of the high BC bullets, when you run the numbers on the retained thwop! at the business end, there’s no comparison at say 350-400m. All this you know already of course...

The traditional .243 bullets generally run in the 0.350 - 0.375 range, whereas the current crop of 105-110gr bullets run mid- 0.500s. The difference in the field is massive. Like you can hear it. I’ve been shooting .243 since I was a spotty twerp, these new bullets in the fast twist barrels hit waaayyy harder. THWOP!
    Just...say...the...word

ebf
    Apparently the 6mm GT (Gay Tiger, I kid you not !) is where it is at.

Seeing several 6 Creeds turn up at field comps.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Iv run one for years on fallow, reds, goats, tahr, pigs and what ever else pokes it's head out and everything's gone down like proverbial sack of potatoes

It's by no means exciting but it's low recoil and zaps stuff far harder than than a 223
    I run a factory kimber 243 and can't fault it
    +1

The 243 has some of the 223’s advantages like low recoil and a flat trajectory, but has a lot more down range energy. The 223 has its place for small game and knocking over the odd meat animal, but if you want something purely for deer, 6mm all day long...

I run a 6XC, 22-250 case with improved shoulder.
    Very efficient case with 2209 and firing 107smk, ive had it out to 1100meters so far on steel and taken goats at 630meters with it.
    Built on a tikka action with a kreiger 1in8 barrel.

Thinking about building a 6BR of some sort.
    GWH likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    What are your thoughts and experiences with 85 gr Interbonds in a plain old 243?
    Been using 100 gr Interlocks with good enough results, but thinking of trying the Interbonds. Only seem to come in 85 grains though.
    Yes they are designed for 10" twist any heavier and they would be to long to stabilise same with all the GMX and copper alloy projectiles.
    7mmwsm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    What are your thoughts and experiences with 85 gr Interbonds in a plain old 243?
    Been using 100 gr Interlocks with good enough results, but thinking of trying the Interbonds. Only seem to come in 85 grains though.
    Excellent if you can get them to shoot. I had great success with them out to 400 yards. They make a hell of a hole. I used hybrid100v in my standard 20" .243 for great velocity and accuracy.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Apparently the 6mm GT (Gay Tiger, I kid you not !) is where it is at.

Seeing several 6 Creeds turn up at field comps.
    Is that a rebadged creedmore

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Is that a rebadged creedmore
    Nope, it's kinda between 6BR and 6x47, so quite a bit shorter than the Creed.

35 degree shoulder

And apparently good with Varget/2208, so similar SDs to the BR
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

And of course the Criterion prefit 243 barrel is 7.5” twist which is what I’ve popped on the Bergara. Funny old world where the choice of 243 is contrary!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    @Uplandstalker can testify how good the Criterion prefit 6mm is, he's running a 6XC
    Uplandstalker likes this.

As mentioned, I have 6XC with a pre fit barrel. Anything will actually do what's needed. The key thing is what projectile and in turn, what twist rate. To get the most out if the case, need to be shooting the heavier (>105gn) projectiles. A 7 or 7.5 twist is what I would recommend. This give the option of running the 110gn SMK's etc.

In my XC, 1:7.5 twist, running 110gn SMK at 3142fps and seems to work very well if I do my part right!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    dirkvanvuuren likes this.

Only 8gr difference in bullet weight.

Name:  BC1D3B3D-AB2D-4DF9-A6B0-23EFDEBDBD31.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  343.6 KB
    Just...say...the...word