Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The original WTF bullet? Wow.

um uuummm uummm Browning factory round???

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    um uuummm uummm Browning factory round???
    Nah.

some one makes nickle round for deer ...one of the new offerings.like deer season....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    some one makes nickle round for deer ...one of the new offerings.like deer season....
    Hand loaded component. You really do need to get out more MD.
    Micky Duck likes this.

my rifles MIGHT see a box of factory rounds once every 5 years if they lucky..... owned the .223 for 22 years and other than the rounds I bought with it new its had 20rounds I bought and 30 I was given....round count would be close to 2k now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Considering that the Germans don’t have any game that’s bigger, tougher, scarier or harder to kill than we do, other than the odd moose which we have too then I have often wondered why they have such a love affair with super hard bullets.
    Ahem. Don't forget the Eurasian wild boar which occasionally kills hunters. Definitely dangerous game. (-:
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

No scarier than one of our big feral sows with her piglets, backed into a fence or a steep bank.

After a run in with a sow in this exact situation, one of my older mates won’t go anywhere up the back of his farm without his pump action 12ga!

Who needs a Eurasian wild boar to feel involuntary clenching of buttocks anyway?

Name:  139F6DFD-7ED7-4624-B23C-800B3811D7D9.jpeg
Views: 193
Size:  564.0 KB
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Asterix and his tribe
    Cordite likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Something that I've discovered that I also didn't know is that these bullets aren't new, they've been around for about 10 years or more? I guess if they were as remarkable as the marketing blurb claims they are, we'd have seen a lot more like them, but I'm picking they're too expensive to manufacture. I asked my cuz in the US - never come across them, and my cuz in the UK - knows of them but never seen anyone use them. So I guess they're a niche bullet in Germany / Austria / Czech etc.
    Just...say...the...word

Name:  7.5 Swiss.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  380.7 KB
    The GP11 best looking Military rifle round ever with steel/nickel projectile the GP90 5.56 has 62 grain projectile of the same metal,
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    So TIG, TUG etc are Brenneke bullets, not RWS @Jit? Or are they one in the same thing? Certainly look very similar.

On the Brenneke website they say “TIG® continuously proves to be one of the most successful bullets for all light and moderately heavy types of game on a worldwide scale.” Which is probably a little bit optimistic considering I’ve never come across them before.

I remember when I lived in southern Africa I hunted with a few Europeans and one thing that I recall now was how used they were to tracking long runner deer with dogs. It’s a fair while ago now but my hazy memory recalls a strong preference for very hard bullets that passed through and did little peripheral damage, and the bang flop DRT we tend to strive for here was not particularly important to them. Almost as if the tracking of the deer with the dogs was as much or more fun than the shooting of it.
    You are partially right @Flyblown. Its thing from the past when projectile design was less developed, things have changed but most people kept using the same thing they did before.
    I used to shoot everything with 196grs S&B SPCE, 196gr Norma Vulcan and 198 gr TIG from my 8x57JS yugo. Was a bit of an overkill on roe and foxes but that's what I had back then.
    I grew up in Hungary and worked there as a game keeper/guide. Seen a fair amount of animals shot until I left the country in 09 and only a handful them being shot with non EU made ammo(I don't count Russian here). A lot of hunters from the older generation also still believes they need at least a 180gr projectile to knock down a red stag at 100m or less.
    When I tell people that in NZ reds get shot with anything from 222 to 6.5x55 or 6.5CM they look at me like am a serial rapist. In they eyes a 6.5x55 is a fine roe cartrigde (about the size of a goat) and that's it. Not enough weight and penetration, said on chap who only ever used his dads 7x64.
    Flyblown and grandpamac like this.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

During WW2 the Germans had a shortage of copper for cartridge cases and initally trialled sintered iron as a material for driving bands on artillery shells another major useage. It proved to be less wearing on the rifling and much less fouling than copper so was adopted. I believe some mp 44 ammunition was alone made with steel jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Boar Freak View Post
    I grew up in Hungary and worked there as a game keeper/guide. Seen a fair amount of animals shot until I left the country in 09 and only a handful them being shot with non EU made ammo(I don't count Russian here). A lot of hunters from the older generation also still believes they need at least a 180gr projectile to knock down a red stag at 100m or less.

When I tell people that in NZ reds get shot with anything from 222 to 6.5x55 or 6.5CM they look at me like am a serial rapist. In they eyes a 6.5x55 is a fine roe cartrigde (about the size of a goat) and that's it. Not enough weight and penetration, said on chap who only ever used his dads 7x64.
    Ha ha I laughed hard when I read this. Fuck it took me back 29 years to a very clearly remembered occasion on a huge Northern Cape plaas, the first time I took my .243 Winchester out of its bag.

What have you got there Soutie?
    Er, it’s my 243.
    WAT?
    What do you mean What? It’s a .243 Winchester.
    Gaan ye fokkin GRAP???!!! (are you fucking joking?)
    No. Why?
    You can’t use that! It’s for dassies!
    What?
    It’s for fokkin rock rabbits!
    (At this point, you really need to know how to roll your “r”s...)

Somewhat bemused, I actually considered putting my weakling pathetic runt of a rifle back in its bag, and going home. But bred from sterner stuff, and the knowledge we’d kicked these Dutch punks’ arses back in 1902, I strode on undeterred, and dropped every small biltong antelope I pointed my puny .243 at. By shooting them in the neck. Which didn’t go down particularly well.

When I reported all this to my dear late Grandpa, he wrote me a letter which I still have somewhere. He said (words to this effect) “the Dutchman knows only brute force, the finer points of precision are beyond him”. This didn’t exactly ring true, from a Boer War history perspective, but nonetheless I took it onboard. Actually I probably took it a bit too literally, because a few months later I got punched in the face for telling an unpleasant Dutchman he needed to use his finger instead of his whole hand, to cure his marital woes. Oh well, love and learn.
    Just...say...the...word

By the way Crunchies on here, I’ve just been smashed by the wife for my shite translation!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

May not have been perfect but I pissed myself anyway - excellent! Love my .243 for Springbok.