Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By johnd
  • 2 Post By dannyb
  • 3 Post By akaroa1
  • 4 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By keengunNic
  • 1 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Longranger
  • 2 Post By 6x47

Thread: primers...what is softest/easiest to ignite???

primers...what is softest/easiest to ignite???

After one too many misfires I just have to ask........
    another fella was having issues a while back too with same thing,so there must be harder primers out there,pretty sure the CCI small rifle are harder than others and its why I ditched using them years ago.
    I recocked and refired twice without it going off,so pulled round apart,powder burnt fine...removed primer,sat on chopping block on wee bit of metal and tapped with back of axe...an hour later my ears are still ringing so compound wasnt contaminated.faark it was loud.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Unless you have a weak spring you aren't seating them proper. Feds are softest.
    Micky Duck and george44 like this.

Might be an issue with the firing pin or spring ? You may have the same issue no matrer what primers you use
    shooternz and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    After one too many misfires I just have to ask........
    another fella was having issues a while back too with same thing,so there must be harder primers out there,pretty sure the CCI small rifle are harder than others and its why I ditched using them years ago.
    I recocked and refired twice without it going off,so pulled round apart,powder burnt fine...removed primer,sat on chopping block on wee bit of metal and tapped with back of axe...an hour later my ears are still ringing so compound wasnt contaminated.faark it was loud.
    @Micky Duck So what is the offending rifle ? I'm in the problems with the firing pin camp

With my vintage single shots its firing pin protrustion, firing pin angle and main spring strength that are usually problems
    Never a problem with the rolling blocks because they have a beast of a main spring and firing pin in line with the bore
    Micky Duck, dannyb and george44 like this.

Federal are pretty soft but yes as above have to ask the question is the rifle and brass good to go or is there some other issue.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I went away from the CCI-450 for misfires. Have heard many other reports of the 450s doing it pretty often. Not what you want. I ended up going to the federal 205s and have had no issues yet. They may well be softer in construction but they haven't failed or blown/shown pressure any sooner.

But as above, it could well be a firing pin problem? When did you last strip the bolt down for a good deep clean?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thick/ old/too much oil in bolt housing can also be a cause. Use them primers in a mil surp rifle guarantee to go bang. Tikkas are bad for poor strikes. Read up on seating primers too Miickey. @keengunNic throw those shitty 450,s away.....away over here
    Micky Duck likes this.

beauty...I think you fellas are onto it....pretty sure I may have used up last of the CCI that were there,have got federal so will make sure to use them in future

its an old astra cyclope single barrel shotgun and Im aware it doesnt have particulary strong strike....
    george44 likes this.

when I had it happen the first couple of times I put it down to slight corrosion around primer,thought it was a BP thing...hasnt happened with smokeless so far and all things are equal otherwise...still in back of mind the BP is somehow effecting the compound..yet it going off proves it was still viable....

Had it happen with a Barnard action with CCI BR-4 SR primer in 308. Only solution was to add an 8mm spacer to the firing pin spring and problem gone away. Same rifle with LR primers never an issue.

Did the same as @Micky Duck and the primer was still live. CCI primers like to be hit hard and that really is what you need for good ES
    Micky Duck likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese....

Never once had a misfire with CCI 450s and that's with thousands of them
    johnd and shooternz like this.