Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By foxhound
  • 1 Post By Cordite
  • 1 Post By -BW-
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 3 Post By foxhound

Thread: 8mm mauser, AR2209

8mm mauser, AR2209

After running out of 2208 for the 8mm, mmmm what next tried benchmark 2 no good and increased recoil. switched to 50g of 2209 behind 196g S&B projectile and first 5 rounds shot very well and exactly at point of aim recoil was soft.
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

Soft recoil must be a decider for 8mm. Unpleasant kicker at least with a Kar98, great way to develop flinch.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Soft recoil must be a decider for 8mm. Unpleasant kicker at least with a Kar98, great way to develop flinch.
    ADI manual listed 49g of 2209 starting loads, when i was running 43g of 2208 with good groups, so was surprised at how well the 2209 went straight off the bat and recoil was probably bit less than with 2208.

Quote Originally Posted by foxhound View Post
    ADI manual listed 49g of 2209 starting loads, when i was running 43g of 2208 with good groups, so was surprised at how well the 2209 went straight off the bat and recoil was probably bit less than with 2208.
    You must now abstain from Lotto tickets for a month, having expended all your good luck ration on getting lucky with that one.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

I am using Win 760 - which is very close to 2209 - in my 8x60.
    My current test batch is from 47-52gr and will maybe go a little higher, until I’m close to 2700fps with 150gr, or until the recoil becomes too unpleasant!
    I’m really only going for 8x57 equivalent loads.
    foxhound likes this.

Where did you get the projectiles from?
    Got some 4064 which apparently goes well in these.
    Also the 170gr SST is meant to go very well. Cant be to explody close up or the 8mm doesnt drive them fast enough?

Quote Originally Posted by foxhound View Post
    After running out of 2208 for the 8mm, mmmm what next tried benchmark 2 no good and increased recoil. switched to 50g of 2209 behind 196g S&B projectile and first 5 rounds shot very well and exactly at point of aim recoil was soft.
    Greetings,
    People tend to forget that the 8 x57 is easily the equal of the .30-06 when loaded to the same pressure. AR2209 is a great powder in either cartridge as long as the .30-06 is not fired in the Garand. The problem is that much of the data for the 8mm is puny as it is for many continental military cartridges.
    GPM.
    foxhound likes this.

I will be interested in your velocities with 2209 so I can compare them to my 8x60..
    I've only just got to 2400fps with 52gr...

I haven't put them through the chrony as i only want accuracy at 100 and 200m. I use the rifle in comps, every two months it gets 30rounds down the tube.
    I had the barrel replaced with a lother walther new barrel that was intended for a kar98, Mine is the Yugo model M48

@foxhound - how are you finding the Lothar Walther barrel? I'm toying doing the same for my Czech K98.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    @foxhound - how are you finding the Lothar Walther barrel? I'm toying doing the same for my Czech K98.
    The barrel on mine was seriously rusted bore, would only group with one type of bullet,(kind of group)
    Our club gunsmith obtained a new barrel for mine basically a direct replacement for a kar98 he had to do some mods to make it fit and refit the standard sights.
    Told me it is suited for the 198g pills. He got the iron sites fairly well bang on and the groups are just spot on.
    When i was running 2208 with 196 sellior and bellot 43.5 grains great groups just a bit low so i would set the rear site to 300m when shooting at 100, and set to 400 when shooting out yo 200m.
    My new load with 50g of 2209 shoots to point of aim at 100 with the rear site all the way back at 200m setting
    Haven't tried it at 200m yet, You wont be disappointed with the lother walther barrel.
    Cordite, Trigger and -BW- like this.