Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Problem with brass

Does the brass have that rim on shoulder after full lenght sizing?

Looks like your seating die is contacting the case somehow.
    As said above put sized brass in press all the way up and wind seating die down by hand untill it contacts case then wind up at least half a turn.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Does the brass have that rim on shoulder after full lenght sizing?

Looks like your seating die is contacting the case somehow.
    As said above put sized brass in press all the way up and wind seating die down by hand untill it contacts case then wind up at least half a turn.
    Will give that a go. Should I get them all annealed first before resizing again?

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    Will give that a go. Should I get them all annealed first before resizing again?
    I dont think it would be nessacary but it couldn't hurt.
    Try size one first and see if it chambers.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks, will do.

My .02 for what it’s worth.
    Identify the case that’s the tightest to chamber in your rifle. Use that case to set your FL die. Gradually adjust the die down till it chambers with just minimal force. Then lock your die ring. Trim for length. Good to go.
    ChrisW likes this.

I've had that before - changed some 308 dies for a different brand, sorted all the FL resizing ok. But forgot to check the depth that I had set the seating die and hadn't backed it off a half or full turn. Takes very little pressure to make the case "swell" at the shoulder if you have your seating die set a tad too low, so little you usually dont feel any difference. Looks like you've got some valuable advice from the guys above, and somebody close enough to help sort it.
    Larskramer and grandpamac like this.

Defiantly. Will update you all tomorrow! Thanks

Ok... here's smthing ive found from a supplied load. Same round, 1x measurement right at the base of the shoulder, and next measurement 3mm below... there is a crease right at the edge.

Is this fixable ? Or shall I just start with some new norma, or Bertram brass?
    Don't know. Try the sharpie trick, the entire case. It's easy (not as if we're suggesting you attend a scraping class).

Until then you may be entirely mistaken about just exactly why and where your cases stick.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Ok... here's smthing ive found from a supplied load. Same round, 1x measurement right at the base of the shoulder, and next measurement 3mm below... there is a crease right at the edge.

Is this fixable ? Or shall I just start with some new norma, or Bertram brass?
    Cracked it. The case is being crushed in the seating die. Adjust die as previously mentioned plus trim to correct length and chamfer the inside of the case mouth and all should be well. Your cases could be quite long after all the sizing so trimming is an essential step. Trim length is 2.025 inches.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    and throw away your neck sizing die if you are neck sizing. Full lenght sizing is more better
    Greetings Mikee,
    Can't say I agree on not neck sizing. I have had excellent results over the years. Granted it does take some more discipline in keeping case batches segregated and some of the neck sizing dies are worse than useless especially the non cartridge specific ones. For getting decent life from .303 brass with low pressure loads, it really shines provided the chamber is not out of round. For full power loads careful FL sizing to ensure that the shoulder is not set back is probably best. I see that my son has gone to FL sizing for his FTR and FO rifles so it may be best for long range, something I don't do. Each to their own though.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    zimmer likes this.

All sorted thankyou jaco goosen! Re sized, reloaded, and found KY seating die was a touch too low!

All sorted thankyou jaco goosen! Re sized, reloaded, and found KY seating die was a touch too low!
    All done and dusted in a little over 24 hours. The Forum rules.
    GPM.

This forum is awesome, have learnt , shared, studied and made friends. - love this place.

Glad I could help mate. Was good having you over, my door is always open - pop in if you feel like it.
    Larskramer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Goosen View Post
    Glad I could help mate. Was good having you over, my door is always open - pop in if you feel like it.
    Same here mate, you need to visit my humble obode next