Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Q1 COAL ...a novice reloader question.

LBD

Q1 COAL ...a novice reloader question.

This is Q1 of what may be many over the next few months if I cannot find the answer else where... and yes it does feel like I am staring down the rabbit hole with a voice in my head shouting.... "DON'T JUMP!!!!!

I do have my head around COAL and the value of a COAL/jump matched to a rifle... but having this knowledge raises a question....

Q1, Is there any real value adjusting the COAL of new factory loads to suit my gun?

If so...then is there a preferred method of moving the projectile out from the cartridge a little before re-seating to the desired length in a press?

Fulla
    I can't see the point decreasing jump in a factory load.
    Your going to pull the bullet out a little then re-size? You should really size the neck again if your going to do that. I wouldn't want to do that with powder and a primer in the case, especially as a beginner hand loader. Even if you do all that there's no guarantee it will shoot any better. You will have to try a few different jumps, or load test to find out.... Not to mention that you would be doing this with a "max" load assuming your just keeping all the factory powder in there.
    And changing jump is really only a fine tune.
    After all this effort you may as well just make a handload for your rifle in the usual manner. Your playing with fire a bit trying to alter factory loads, maybe an experienced handloader could work though it to get it done, but I doubt any would bother and would just make a load.
    Don't blow yourself up.
    Pete_D, dannyb and 2post like this.

LBD
    thanks... this is why i ask....

no silly questions right?

Correct no silly questions! One less Darwin Award winner and one more enlightened hand loader. Well answered bully.
    Bagheera, bully, 300CALMAN and 1 others like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Safe to increase COAL with a kinetic puller. No spillage of powder involved unless you tap so hard the bullet flies right out. Then push back to required length. Simple.

I'd echo the sentiment above, at least I'd not bother.

Hi LBD ,

As above, shoot em all off, then reload them to your COAL.

As a new reloader I found that I was doing things that just didn't matter one way or the other, like sorting .357 projectiles by weight into lots.
    (I think target shooters do this to help with accuracy, but for a 357, pointless. I didn't know that at the time)

It's inevitable that this will happen. To me pulling factory ammo to bits just isn't worth it, unless there's an obvious problem.

Let us know what you're reloading for at some stage. It'll help us with answering your questions.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    This is Q1 of what may be many over the next few months if I cannot find the answer else where... and yes it does feel like I am staring down the rabbit hole with a voice in my head shouting.... "DON'T JUMP!!!!!

I do have my head around COAL and the value of a COAL/jump matched to a rifle... but having this knowledge raises a question....

Q1, Is there any real value adjusting the COAL of new factory loads to suit my gun?

If so...then is there a preferred method of moving the projectile out from the cartridge a little before re-seating to the desired length in a press?
    First decide weather your preferred factory load does what you need, only change it, if it does not.

Quite safe to knock projectile out with a kinetic puller ( just as Cordite says), it is a normal practice. Then use a regular seating die to put it back where you want it. If you get a bit excited and knock the projectile clean out, you just put it back together again (assuming your hammer is not full of other crap). Loaded projectiles that have sat for a long time (years), benefit from a smack and reseat if you were a target type shooter.

A tactic I have been guilty of from time to time with factory loads if forced to go down that route, is to pull the projectiles, measure the powder charge, cross reference load data and sacrifice one round for it's powder and use that powder to "top up" the other 19 cartridges in the box. The factories generally lie about velocity.

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Hi LBD ,
    Let us know what you're reloading for at some stage. It'll help us with answering your questions.
    This question pertains to the 6.5 cm, but will reload 223 as well. both bolt actions and aiming for precision.

This question pertains to the 6.5 cm, but will reload 223 as well. both bolt actions and aiming for precision.
    Ok, it's a 6.5 mm, there are a few varieties. Is it a 6.5x55 swede or something else?.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

LBD
    cm = Creedmoor

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    First decide weather your preferred factory load does what you need, only change it, if it does not.

Quite safe to knock projectile out with a kinetic puller ( just as Cordite says), it is a normal practice. Then use a regular seating die to put it back where you want it. If you get a bit excited and knock the projectile clean out, you just put it back together again (assuming your hammer is not full of other crap). Loaded projectiles that have sat for a long time (years), benefit from a smack and reseat if you were a target type shooter.

A tactic I have been guilty of from time to time with factory loads if forced to go down that route, is to pull the projectiles, measure the powder charge, cross reference load data and sacrifice one round for it's powder and use that powder to "top up" the other 19 cartridges in the box. The factories generally lie about velocity.
    Knowing what the factory powder is how exactly? I wouldn’t recommend this.

Also, a lot of factory ammo is crimped, so a bugger to pull. Shoot and start again as suggested.
    bully likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Knowing what the factory powder is how exactly? I wouldn’t recommend this.

Also, a lot of factory ammo is crimped, so a bugger to pull. Shoot and start again as suggested.
    Chrony and a little research tells everything you need to know.
    A lot?......... some, I must be doing something wrong, I don't seem to have any trouble pulling crimped ammo, will make an effort to make it difficult in future.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Fulla
    thanks... this is why i ask....

no silly questions right?
    It's kind of like asking your new girlfriend for a threesome.... You don't really know how well it will go down, best learn the rules before you break them.
    Stay safe. ( Learn to do a basic handload , get tricky after that. Or choose another factory round)
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    It's kind of like asking your new girlfriend for a threesome.... You don't really know how well it will go down, best learn the rules before you break them.
    Stay safe. ( Learn to do a basic handload , get tricky after that. Or choose another factory round)
    Yeah but if she say yes
    When hunting think safety first

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Yeah but if she say yes
    Her reply would probably depend on which of your mates you suggested as the third party....
    veitnamcam, Boaraxa and rewa like this.