Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Q1 COAL ...a novice reloader question.

Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    Her reply would probably depend on which of your mates you suggested as the third party....
    I think you just answered your own question don't f--k with factory ammo or it could end up biting you in the ass
    When hunting think safety first

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Yeah but if she say yes
    Your still playing with fire.... You showed her more attention, but why.......

Fulla
    Her reply would probably depend on which of your mates you suggested as the third party....
    Her mates, as in female.

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Her mates, as in female.
    Oh.... right....

cm = Creedmoor

Cheers
    And here was me thinking you had a 65 mm cannon, I wanted pictures oh well.
    LBD likes this.

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    And here was me thinking you had a 65 mm cannon, I wanted pictures oh well.
    That's funny... Hand loading a 65mm....

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Her mates, as in female.
    I think if she asked a good looking female mate then all good however a bloke mate of yours I think is when "Honey I feel a headache coming on" and a reach for the panadol comes into play, it's either that or waking up for the next 2-3 days with a sore ass.

Now @LBD you may be asking yourself the question "what the hell does tampering with factory ammo have to do with a threesome"? Well the simple answer to that question is we have perverted yet genius minds so if you play with the factory ammo and it works sweet then you are having a threesome with her mate and all is good but if you tamper with the factory ammo and it explodes your riffle to bits then it's like having a threesome with your mate.

Another example as the Lonely Island put it (it's ok when it's in a three way) however I'm not so sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7gwX7rjOw
    rewa likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

That's funny... Hand loading a 65mm....
    Here ya go
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    berg243 likes this.

Don't do it. COAL isn't what you're after. It's the ogive length as in some bullets you'll find variances in length going from tip to base. The ogive stays the same and it's that distance to the lands you want. You'll need something like the hornady comparator tool and a modified case etc to do it properly.(you can make your own) At the vary least pull a bullet just slightly neck size a fired case( with no powder, primer) so it only holds the bullet lightly and close the bolt on it a few times repeating the process. This should give you the just touch length then back off 10"min, but isn't as accurate and if the bullet sticks a fraction in the rifling will give you a false reading. It works but has it's prickles if not done properly. I almost got caught using the right gear yesterday. I couldn't get the right jump, head space either. I thought it was a die problem but then find I have a slightly over length chamber. Not a problem in its self but what I didn't notice was new brass and a different caliber that my primer tool was leaving the primers a couple of thou proud in the the cases. Doesn't do it with any other and now adjusted all is good. Luckily I noticed the vernier rocking when I was measuring. If you're going to do it get the right gear and do it properly or you could be heading for a nasty surprise. Not all factory ammo is loaded down and not all guns shoot the same. A bullet jammed into the lands won't be a fun experience with a hot load behind it. If you do decide to have a go then take your time and check then check and finally check again. As above I would't bother , I'd just reload to what I wanted. Good luck

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by r87mm View Post
    D It's the ogive length as in some bullets you'll find variances in length going from tip to base. The ogive stays the same and it's that distance to the lands you want.
    Thanks R87mm.... got that, the COAL will vary with projectile profile and ogive position.. the distance to the lands and hence the COAL will need to be determined for every projectile shape.

Cheers

yes and no.....if you happen to have a factory load that shoots pretty good in your rifle... that uses similar projectile to what you intend to reload...use that factory load as your "dummy" round (to set your seating die ). I did that for years with an old school silvertip load with every projectile I used and results were ok..... the ONLY projectile that stuffs that theory up for me is a big fat round nose,in theory and it seems to be happening lately the super sleek modern jobbies are temperamental with seating dies eg some wont work and are damaging tips etc as the very point is enguaging instead of the ring at oglive....

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ,in theory and it seems to be happening lately the super sleek modern jobbies are temperamental with seating dies eg some wont work and are damaging tips etc as the very point is enguaging instead of the ring at oglive....
    Being a Creedmoor... I will be using those sleek modern temperamental jobbies...

Accuracy?... still breaking it in... only 80 rounds so far... but room for improvement (More me than the gun)

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Here ya go
    Yup....too big for the Lock n load press

well it is a muzzle loader so lead will be fine/legal...not 100% sure on the guage restrictions.

LBD
    Okay, so I had a play...

Bought a Chrono, a proper bullet puller and an OAL gauge.

I measured the Maximum COAL for my gun and found the jump to be 2.3mm with the 147gn ELD 6.5 creedmoor projectiles.... yes that is correct.

I then re-seated 5 rounds at plus 2 mm but found the round was too long for the Mag. so I set them to plus 1.25mm and they cycled well.

On the chrono, the 5 longer rounds were 10FPS on average faster than the std factory rounds.

I am now looking to replace the polymer AICS mag with a steel AICS mag. which I believe will let me easily go to plus 2.25mm over the std factory COAL.

Accuracy... both groups similar... 25mm @ 200m.