Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Question: Restoring ( near ) new look to brass

first case in first photo...appears to have a silver/chrome primer...cant off top of head ever remember a factory load coming out with that.or were Norma silver wit ha small re on them??..I do remember when brass finish primers came out as a reloading component..... it may well suggest at least that one case has been reloaded before.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    How can you be sure it's once fired if you have picked it up off the ground ?
    selling unknown used brass won't make you rich but hey each to their own, to me it seems like a lot of labour for little to no return, any brass that is worth re selling is normally not left on the gorund (magnums and wildcats etc)
    I would definitely suggest if you really feel the need to clean up and re sell scavenged used brass you 100% need to advertise it as such ie "unkown round count" "Range pick ups" personally I would be very wary loading it myself but others may be happy to.
    I know the people ( not the individuals, but the organisation they belong to ) who shot the ammo. They shoot factory stuff and don't themselves reload. Actually, they are supposed to pick up the brass but either forget or ignore their obligation. Also, when I have deprimed some previously you can usually tell if it's once, or once or twice, only fired. I have sold some previously as once fired, not tidied up as I intend here, but believe that to be truthful. Not trying to mislead anybody. You're right, it's not a money making exercise but I enjoy receiving the few dollars it generates. Also, I try to price it very reasonably for those shooters looking more for something budget priced. Also, I like to see something useful get reused rather than unnecessarily adding to the waste we humans produce.
    I could advertise it for sale without cosmetic improvement but decided I would try it in hope of also learning something else I can add to my handloading knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    first case in first photo...appears to have a silver/chrome primer...cant off top of head ever remember a factory load coming out with that.or were Norma silver wit ha small re on them??..I do remember when brass finish primers came out as a reloading component..... it may well suggest at least that one case has been reloaded before.
    It is a silver / chrome primer. Those are FC headstamp cases and all have silver / chrome primers.
    I have factory ammo ( Federal, Norma ) with steel / chrome primers.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    it's not a money making exercise but I enjoy receiving the few dollars it generates.
    Good on you, I've known a few guys that have done similar & sold bits to subsidize their hobby and it allowed them to justify buying more toys to do things. 1 guy even got himself a nice cnc machining centre to make his toys.

I did a bit of man whoreing to supplement my shooting fund. Turns out that the market for old ugly limping men is just the wife! And apparently I have to pay her!
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I did a bit of man whoreing to supplement my shooting fund. Turns out that the market for old ugly limping men is just the wife! And apparently I have to pay her!
    law of diminishing returns there
    #DANNYCENT

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Find a scrap metal dealer. Brass is cheap. It was discarded for a reason.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    law of diminishing returns there
    We tried the $ in a jar trick early on in the relationship, but ended up with IOU's as we were poor, now i cant even remember where the jar is!!

dannyb likes this.