Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The race for speed

Why bother when the .243 exists?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Why bother when the .243 exists?
    Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Silly me.
    Genuine question. Posting from phone, so concise. What advantage do you see over straight .243?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Genuine question. Posting from phone, so concise. What advantage do you see over straight .243?
    None. I use my 243 a lot ("go to" is the expression I think), but I do like to tinker. Have always been interested in and used the 223 and 22.250 a lot on deer and would like to see what difference 500 extra fps and 10 grn of bullet would make. Only one way to find out, and to satisfy the itch

None. I use my 243 a lot ("go to" is the expression I think), but I do like to tinker. Have always been interested in and used the 223 and 22.250 a lot on deer and would like to see what difference 500 extra fps and 10 grn of bullet would make. Only one way to find out, and to satisfy the itch
    My fast twist, 1-7 ex Crzyman 22-243 chucks the 90 Bergers out at a leisurely 3100 can go to 3200+ but haven't bothered.

The BC is .552 & it is very accurate, I have shot it out to 1300 but it is very hard to hear it "gong" it's more like "ping".

It is my goto over 500 yard bunnie gun

I prefer my 204, 40 Vmax for the sub 500 ones, much more efficent use of resources

You'll necer get 500fps over the .22-250 with the .22/243 if they're loaded to the same pressure. Very little practical difference in perfornance in my opinion for 10+gr more powder and correspondingly less barrel life as well as the hassles of a wildcat (which are admittedly minor with .22/243 compared to some others)

At the end of the day, a cartridge is there to throw a bit of lead and copper through the air, and I'm all for sticking to the simplest and most efficient ways to achieve the goal of moving that bit of lead and copper of whatever size, weight and shape I prefer at the speed neccesary to do what I want it to do

what does the 22-243 get speed wise with a 75gr amax?

22-250AI is what I load for a mates bunny gun

AI was to stop the case disapearing down the barrel, got sick of triming them.

It gets 3400 fps with a sane load that the brass shows no sign of preasure....and with std old 2209 (easy to get)

I Run the 243AI but do very little varmit shooting ATM.....so plenty of barrel life left works a treat on goats with the 87gr Vmax..... messy
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

I've never had to trim a case, never changed a barrel because it it was at the end of its life and there is nothing to do to the brass other than running it through a neck die before loading.

It's a great round and different. The same reason people AI cases, to be different and gain a little. I couldnt be bothered with a AI case and fireforming.

Who cases that it burns 10g more powder than a 250, thats only a reason for people to complain because they are tight arses, no other reason behind it. If you cant afford powder I think you need to take up knitting.

When I got my first one there were only a hand full around, now there are several and everyone that has one or used one loves it. Its only the people that dont have one that look for reasons why its no good.
    Shootm, veitnamcam and Kiwi Greg like this.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    I've never had to trim a case, never changed a barrel because it it was at the end of its life and there is nothing to do to the brass other than running it through a neck die before loading.

It's a great round and different. The same reason people AI cases, to be different and gain a little. I couldnt be bothered with a AI case and fireforming.

Who cases that it burns 10g more powder than a 250, thats only a reason for people to complain because they are tight arses, no other reason behind it. If you cant afford powder I think you need to take up knitting.

When I got my first one there were only a hand full around, now there are several and everyone that has one or used one loves it. Its only the people that dont have one that look for reasons why its no good.
    Have you seen the price of wool?

haha wool.

I had the numbers all fubared in my head, thought it was 1000 fps faster for the amax's. I retract my previous statement.

If any of you who haven't seen greg's 1:7 twist shoot those bergers, its understandable you would wonder why.

But its fucking amazing. It has been built properly, but even so, the way it hits the small gongs way past 1000m is hard to believe. A very cool rifle which ONLY downside is the barrel life, everything else is perfect. Low recoil, flat shooting, super accurate, east to load for (im told), cheap brass, cheap powder, cheap pills etc etc etc

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    haha wool.

I had the numbers all fubared in my head, thought it was 1000 fps faster for the amax's. I retract my previous statement.

If any of you who haven't seen greg's 1:7 twist shoot those bergers, its understandable you would wonder why.

But its fucking amazing. It has been built properly, but even so, the way it hits the small gongs way past 1000m is hard to believe. A very cool rifle which ONLY downside is the barrel life, everything else is perfect. Low recoil, flat shooting, super accurate, east to load for (im told), cheap brass, cheap powder, cheap pills etc etc etc

Chris
    much nicer to here Dooonnnnggggggg than "dink" though... bigger is better
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    much nicer to here Dooonnnnggggggg than "dink" though... bigger is better
    I couldn't agree more, the 338 has ALOT of authority, but the 416 makes it sound like a toy, its going to be interesting to hear the 375

That 22-243 is amazingly accurate, its best so far is two bunnies with one shot at 900 yards I doubt I can better that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    You need a 22 cal barrel in fast twist for the big, 69-90grain etc or slow twist for the 50 ish ones.
    The Barnes will probably need a 1-8.
    Talk to Robbie at Gunworks Canterbury he has built heaps of them.
    Thanks. Have contacted Grant at Truflite. Check out this exercise in perfection. Coyote Hunting Information - Coyotehunter.net • View topic - GETTING STARTED By Leadbisquit