Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Random pressure signs?

Random pressure signs?

Last edited by 338; 18-06-2018 at 08:08 AM.

See callums link he posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats interesting that colder rounds have higher velocity. I remember years ago at a shoot when it was pretty chilly ( Waimate )
    When the word went out that MV tests for power factor was going to happen, everyone that was doubtfull about their speed, stuck their ammo in their pockets........ shouldnt have bothered

Interesting regarding cold temps increasing MV! I always thought it was the the other way round...

Slightly interesting note though. Last weekends tahr hunts brass didn't have have sticky bolt lift (that I recall anyway) and cant see any ejector marks on the cases. I did only fire 2x rounds however. Air temp was below zero and ammo was sitting in mag all day. Maybe the Dunedin range is a colder hole than I thought!!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    I get this all the time in the cold. When I am hunting in the snow some of my loads stamp like a bitch! Keep them in your pocket.
    I have actually tested this a few years ago with 2225 and 2217 powder using ice packs and hand warmers to heat and cool rounds.
    Shot at 400 and had higher velocity’s,higher point of impact and pressure signs on the brass on the cold rounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting. Cold shrinks metal. The relative differences in coefficients of expansion of the several metal involved, e.g. barrel, brass, bullet would change things like neck tension and case capacity, even headspace. Loaded close to limits, these combined factors may have a more noticeable cumulative effect than with a more mild load.
    338 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Interesting. Cold shrinks metal. The relative differences in coefficients of expansion of the several metal involved, e.g. barrel, brass, bullet would change things like neck tension and case capacity, even headspace. Loaded close to limits, these combined factors may have a more noticeable cumulative effect than with a more mild load.
    Had the same thought, will be interesting to try putting the remaining rounds thru when its a bit warmer and see if there is an issue.

I the mean time would folks keep using the load? slightly heavy bolt lift and light extractor mark. Or do I need to look for a different winter loading (would be a ball ache!)

If your bullet ogive is well off the lands, then you could extent coal say 5 thou which will increase effective case capacity and lower initial pressure. However, if by extending coal you are very close to, or into the lands you could dangerously increase pressure. Only you can carry out the required measurements and make the call.. If in doubt, drop a grain and start to look for the next lower velocity group node.
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.