Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Realistically how far can i push my 12.5 inch 308

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    248m and dropped on the spot, obliterated the heart/lungs
    Must be made out anti gravity lead
    #DANNYCENT

have a look at the hornady ftx projs .I used to load up 160s for a mate running a 308 no 4 so loaded down to about 2500max fps but way faster than a 30/30 , they were devastating at all ranges out to 350 m and you can get them in a 140 grn aswell .
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    248m and dropped on the spot, obliterated the heart/lungs
    Its a good projectile, I have used it quite a bit but launched at between 2975 and 3000fps depending on brass.
    I always worked to a self imposed minimum impact velocity of 2000fps or above but that is at longer ranges where placement might not be ideal.
    The internet recon's they work down to about 1800fps but I have never tried them that far out.

Edit, sorry I was using the amax....same as the eldm.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 16-06-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by m101a1 View Post
    have a look at the hornady ftx projs .I used to load up 160s for a mate running a 308 no 4 so loaded down to about 2500max fps but way faster than a 30/30 , they were devastating at all ranges out to 350 m and you can get them in a 140 grn aswell .
    Interesting, I recently started loading the ftx 160s for my 16.5 inch 308, mild load (published starting load) chronyed at 2350fps. Only used on the range so far, but they did group well (they didn't group well in my 30-30).

I wouldn’t touch standard monos out of a 12” barrel for a 300m shot on a big deer if you paid me five times my asking price. Recipe for disaster. There’s more than enough evidence of poor mono expansion at lower impact velocity, from all over the world, god forbid you miss the shoulder and get the ribs and rear lungs. See ya later long runner.
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I wouldn’t touch standard monos out of a 12” barrel for a 300m shot on a big deer if you paid me five times my asking price. Recipe for disaster. There’s more than enough evidence of poor mono expansion at lower impact velocity, from all over the world, god forbid you miss the shoulder and get the ribs and rear lungs. See ya later long runner.
    I agree
    Light mono's going fast are great in the bush, but further out heavy and soft wins the race.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    I agree
    Light mono's going fast are great in the bush, but further out heavy and soft wins the race.
    Must tell the missus that one

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Interesting, I recently started loading the ftx 160s for my 16.5 inch 308, mild load (published starting load) chronyed at 2350fps. Only used on the range so far, but they did group well (they didn't group well in my 30-30).
    Thats interesting just got marlin dark but need range open , got 100s 160s but also got 140s which I hope to use .Maybe a factory crimp die is the biz for 30/30 .

After years of using a 150sst I’ve changed tack and been sucked into the heavy and relatively high BC world, which means a 178eld-x. Haven’t used them in anger yet but they group exceptionally well (0.5MOA) and apparently expand down to 1600fps, which is about 600yd from a 19in barrel. I’m not planning to shoot beyond 450yd but looking forward to see how they perform at different ranges and whether they are a true all rounder as advertised

its beyond me WHY folks try to get an alrounder like that......a awesome up close n personal big fat round nose wont be beaten up close and the 200yard plus shot always has time to change out the load....if it didnt you couldnt take the shot....

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    After years of using a 150sst I’ve changed tack and been sucked into the heavy and relatively high BC world, which means a 178eld-x. Haven’t used them in anger yet but they group exceptionally well (0.5MOA) and apparently expand down to 1600fps, which is about 600yd from a 19in barrel. I’m not planning to shoot beyond 450yd but looking forward to see how they perform at different ranges and whether they are a true all rounder as advertised
    Id be bloody sceptical of that claim especially from the x vs the m......maybe they expand after punchingthrew 12 inches of bull moose shoulder and bone but i doubt any meaningful expansion on our small light game species.

I would love to be proven wrong tho.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    its beyond me WHY folks try to get an alrounder like that......a awesome up close n personal big fat round nose wont be beaten up close and the 200yard plus shot always has time to change out the load....if it didnt you couldnt take the shot....
    It’s the holy grail of projectiles Micky. No pissing around with 2 different loads, just fill the mag and use the same load whether in the bush or on the tops. To be fair manufacturers have been trying to crack this for years and haven’t quite nailed it. The eld-x sounds like a fair attempt but I won’t be convinced until I’ve shot some animals at different ranges, will let ya know

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Id be bloody sceptical of that claim especially from the x vs the m......maybe they expand after punchingthrew 12 inches of bull moose shoulder and bone but i doubt any meaningful expansion on our small light game species.

I would love to be proven wrong tho.
    Yes I’m sceptical about the 1600fps claim as well. Can’t imagine a lot of expansion on a fallow spiker at that velocity! Time will tell but I’m wanting to believe Hornady’s propaganda https://www.hornady.com/support/faqs...-core-separate
    veitnamcam and Dama dama like this.

I wouldn't trust the eldx below 1900fps but the eldm is supposed to be good to 1400fps. I run eldms at 2730 and have run them around the same speed in another calibre and have shot small fallow up close to red and sika stags at 80~ then a big red spiker at 300~. Have tried lots of projectiles and am yet to find a better all rounder provided you don't run them at silly speeds up close

So to answer the OP depending on the projectile and shooter you should be comfy at 300m. Personally I would run the 168eldm and 2208 because of the slower speed and bullet construction you should be pretty happy if you place your shots appropriately eg not the point of the shoulder on a big stag at 15m
    TLB, matto1234 and stevodog like this.