Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Reloading brass hulls for an English Black powder s/b/s 12 gauge.

Put the ball in the palm of your hand,pour enough powder over the ball to just cover it.

That's your starting load.

Crude but it works.
    Kiwi Sapper and mimms2 like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Norsk is right that is a good go to with an unmetered powder flask round balls seem to need more powder than an equivalent weight bullet does. I use 80 grains of 2f in the muzzle loader, and in a single shot shotgun 22 grains of red dot smokeless as I've got a big tin of it and it needs to go somewhere.
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Put the ball in the palm of your hand,pour enough powder over the ball to just cover it. That's your starting load..........
    This as a start for APN 70 as well as B.P? I ask because I cannot find a red dot / APN conversion rate.

No No No covering the ball IS ONLY FOR BLACK POWDER NEVER SMOKELESS.
    Red dot is faster than ap 70 and looking in my books ap 70n matches unique. My old notes show 26 gr of unique was a load I used with 1 1/4 Oz of shot. A 12 gauge ball weight is about the same but use with caution.
    A round ball generally produces lower pressures than a shot charge of similar weight due to the reduced bearing surface and reduced friction,
    Kiwi Sapper and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    No No No covering the ball IS ONLY FOR BLACK POWDER NEVER SMOKELESS................,
    thanks for the clarification and I will continue to "overthinK, in the gray areas I encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    thanks for the clarification and I will continue to "overthinK, in the gray areas I encounter.
    You are being obtuse.

If you seriously thought you could substitute Smokeless to Black powder in equal quantities, then I question your suitability to own firearms in general.

I have given you some practical information on this thread that I myself have used.If you don't like the way it was delivered,stop asking or place me on ignore.

go back and read #2 ........equal volume BP and lead shot.......

With apologies for hijacking thread...but those with relevant knowledge seem to be gathered...are there any reasons why not to use CBC brass hulls with modern smokeless powders in current shotguns? I have a qty of used ones that came from a black powder guy, for both 12 gauge and 410 bore. Also fibre wads, overshot cards and a couple of antique roll crimpers. Latter were prob made for paper hulls I imagine. However, like OP above, I would be reluctant to crimp my brass in the interests of longevity. Overshot cards with glue or varnish would be my preference. Comments? Shotguns in both 12 and 410 are single barrel break action and pretty rugged.
    Micky Duck likes this.

They will be fine.

Brass is a lot stronger than Plastic
    Marty Henry, Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Not wanting to argue with you, however, all of my reading/research forever, and I have done a bit, is that the correct references are 12 gauge, 10 gauge, 20 gauge etc, but .410 Bore is the correct nomenclature for that particular calibre in a shotgun.

for example - https://smallboreshotgun.com/about/4...d-development/

It's 63 gauge. However i dont think many gun shops would know what you meant if you asked for a box of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    With apologies for hijacking thread...but those with relevant knowledge seem to be gathered...are there any reasons why not to use CBC brass hulls with modern smokeless powders in current shotguns? I have a qty of used ones that came from a black powder guy, for both 12 gauge and 410 bore. Also fibre wads, overshot cards and a couple of antique roll crimpers. Latter were prob made for paper hulls I imagine. However, like OP above, I would be reluctant to crimp my brass in the interests of longevity. Overshot cards with glue or varnish would be my preference. Comments? Shotguns in both 12 and 410 are single barrel break action and pretty rugged.
    look up @Wingmans thread on everlasting .410 shells
    Jhon likes this.

and MANY modern .12ga arent really .12ga anymore as they are overbored so closer to what was traditionally a .10ga

but correct they still fire same shells just have little if any forcing cone so pattern nicely and have lower pressure.......you can do same thing if making .410 insert for your larger shotgun....use same drill bit right through...its VERY close to 1/2" pipe diameter...but we wont go into how I know this or will be called redneck AGAIN....
    Marty Henry and Jhon like this.

Per the link above, the use of "bore" is a English/European tradition, "Gauge" being the more common American usage where 410 bore is often referred to as 410 Gauge by the uninitiated lol

its not a decimal point...its a bit of #12 lead shot that just rolled there.......seem to have lots of them around the place.....lol.......