Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By keengunNic
  • 2 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Reloading different brand cases

Reloading different brand cases

A question please... Does using different brand cases make a difference in accuracy when working up loads/shooting in general. I realise that primer brand and obviously projectiles will, but what about using mixed brands of cases? Thanks!!!

Link
    The main difference I have found relates to case weight/thickness of brass. Moving up a considerable weight/brass thickness meant I dropped my .308 load by 1 grain of powder to achieve same accuracy/mv. Only came to this conclusion after the fact and compared empty case weights when both brands trimmed to length. If trimmed cases of different brands are roughly the same weight then I'd anticipate similar results but I'm no reloading guru.

Yup, potiental for difference in internal case volume will create inconsistent pressures and youll have issues with consistency and accuracy. Not so bad if your range is 1- 200m but id recommend sticking with a certain batch or lot
    CBH Australia likes this.

Thanks; looks like I'll stick to one brand.

as others stated biggest factor is internal volume differences = weight & brass thickness.
    Lighter brass means thinner walls = more internal volume = lower pressure for same powder/projectile/seating depth load.
    Weigh a few cases of cleaned brass from each brand to get a representative weight range, then do same for other brand. If the difference is more than a few grains then you'll probably need different loads, and be very careful if your load is near max pressure and you switch to heavier brass.
    My experience with 284 and 270/280 brass is that the premium Euro brass like Norma and Lapua is thinner/lighter and tighter tolerances vs US brass like Win, RP, Federal or Hornady which all tend to the heavier/thicker end and greater variation.
    eg in 284 my current batches of brass
    Lapua = 193-194gn (another batch of Lapua 198 - 199gn)
    Norma = 195 - 196gn
    Win = 210 -211
    Hornady = 212 - 214
    Nosler (made by Norma?) = 203 -204.

In another calibre (6506ai) using RP brass vs Norma the accuracy node was ~1.3gn difference, more powder going into lighter brass and speed difference +50fps.

Different batches of brass from same brand will also vary but no where near as much as the EU vs US examples above.
    I've read that there are other factors like hardness or softness of brass that differ between brands. Not sure how much practical difference this makes.
    zimmer and bumblefoot like this.

i think Nosler now have their own plant but may get Norma to run off odd ball lines.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Greetings @bumblefoot and all,
    Most of my .303 cases including CAC, WW, PPU, DI and Norma weigh betwwen 175 grains and 180 grains with the fired primer. Only S&B is out of step weighing around 188 grains. You can use the case makes to keep lots of handloads seperated even for the same load and rifle. Ken Waters gave a difference of 40 fps for a 12 grain difference in case weight in his tests on the .270 W some years ago. .308 W cases on hand differ by as much as 32 grains and .223 cases by up to 12 grains. There are some loads in my to chronograph pile to test velocity differences which I must get to.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    bumblefoot and CBH Australia like this.

depends on what yo uwant to achieve...when rifle will shoot ANY LOAD into same playing card group....and you only usually shoot out to hundy it matters not a fig.

if your worst group with mixed cases is 2" and you only shoot out to 300 yards...it matters not a fig.

if you loading middle of range...it matters not a fig....
    if however you are hot rodding it and trying to shoot out to 600 yards,yeah nah its a no go.
    Marty Henry and T.FOYE like this.