Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ridge in once fired .303 brass

Ridge in once fired .303 brass

I’ve got a whole bunch of once fired .303 PPU brass with these ridges in the necks. The brass was fired between 3 diff .303s, but mainly a No4 Longbranch. I recently fired some factory S&B rounds through one of the SMLEs and no ridges show. Wondering if anyone has seen this before? [ATTACH]242944
    Attached Images Attached Images  

is it a trick of the light or does it continue up body of case????
    nope havent seen it before..
    75/15/10 black powder matters

In the past I fired some ex mil .303 ,through my no4mk1 ,only to experience multiple head separations.lucky i had a rattail rasp and latterly a .303 case removal tool to remove remainders from chamber .on inspection -a very tiny but bright ring evident on the case in front of flange . inspected remaining stocks -see the ring -round rejected.
    In this case personally id get rid of those cases gut feeling ??????some type of metal fatigue.I stand to be corrected of course by those more erudite in the reloading field.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    is it a trick of the light or does it continue up body of case????
    nope havent seen it before..
    Trick of the light, only on the neck, almost wondering if it’s from the rifling…
    Micky Duck likes this.

This is a better photoName:  IMG_0414.jpeg
Views: 176
Size:  2.55 MB

Have a look at the chamber.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ok soooo I just put one of the non-ridged S&B cases through the collet die on a hunch…. First time with no pressure, second time with the pressure I have applied to the neck size cases. The second time it produced the ridges on the case.
    I guess I am applying too much pressure on the ram? And are the cases still good to reload with, if the pressure I apply when neck sizing is in fact the issue?
    Pissed off I didn’t think of the ram pressure beforehand
    veitnamcam likes this.

I thought it looked like collet marks but I checked back and you said once fired so figured it had to be from chamber.
    Thats fairly normal for a collet die and soft brass
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I thought it looked like collet marks but I checked back and you said once fired so figured it had to be from chamber.
    Thats fairly normal for a collet die and soft brass
    Ah ok, new to all this so keen to learn

Have found some articles online re these marka now that I know what to search for, fairly common it would seem

If you inspect your chamber you'll probably find a gouge - caused by flame cutting due to case necks that has split in the past.

Or....And Ive seen this. Someone had a case head snap of and probably hammered a flat screwdriver into the stuck case to get it out, damaging the neck.
    Micky Duck and Hugh Shields like this.

Greetings,
    The Lee collet dies produce very straight brass but do require brass that is not too hard. Hard brass will spring back after being sized and not provide enough tension to hold the projectile. The fix for this is to anneal the necks every two or three loads. Grinding down the pilot is not desirable and will not be needed if this is done. My .303 cases are sized in a Lee Loader die and the loads kept down so that full length sizing is not needed. Case life can be extremely short if the cases are FL sized with the die down hard on the shell holder.
    GPM.

Glad you figured it out mate

Thanks for the input everyone, next task will be to check the chamber area, will post if anything untoward is found

Much better and more precise instructions exist online than the ones included with Lee collet dies. I've found some and printed them out to keep with the dies. Saved me a lot of headaches when I 1st started using them. I think this link will sum it up but I'm not sure they are the same as I've got because my dies are packed away at the moment.
    https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...-sizing-brass/