Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ridge in once fired .303 brass

Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    Much better and more precise instructions exist online than the ones included with Lee collet dies. I've found some and printed them out to keep with the dies. Saved me a lot of headaches when I 1st started using them. I think this link will sum it up but I'm not sure they are the same as I've got because my dies are packed away at the moment.
    https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...-sizing-brass/
    Thanks, that’s quite useful for me. I had a play and made some minor adjustments to setup and I’m no longer getting the prominent ridges. Will still check the chamber to see if there are any issue but it’s starting to piss down now so it’s time for a curry and a beer

look at 2nd photo..follow line of your thumb nail up onto brass....if that isnt a line going up body of case into neck...Im buggered if know what it is. LOL
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    look at 2nd photo..follow line of your thumb nail up onto brass....if that isnt a line going up body of case into neck...Im buggered if know what it is. LOL
    Na definitely not, was hard to capture the ridges without the light making it look like there were all kinds of lines running up the body, no lines on the bodies
    Micky Duck likes this.

A collett die has to move the brass from a larger diameter to a smaller diameter and the brass has to go somewhere and that is in the form of ridges. There should be three or four depending on the number of slots in the die. It can be eliminated by first reducing the neck in a full length sizing die or even a neck sizing die. The really good benefit of a collett die is they will true the inside of the neck and all cases regardless of the neck wall thickness will have exactly the same internal diameter giving the best neck/bullet tension result apart from neck turning.
    apkiwi likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese....

Thats not your chamber. Shoot them and then neck size .303 brass in a normal full length die.

My first instinct says chuck the PPU brass away and get better quality cases. I don't reload PPU due to too many neck cracks. I know others use PPU brass and have no issues ( or put up with the issues) but I don't, preferring instead to safeguard my breech from damage.

You have some good advice from other in the forum, follow that advice and you'll get it sorted.

Dismantle, inspect and clean your dies. Once cleaned, don't over lube your cases. Over lubing can cause deformation, dent, but I don't know about that line????
    Good luck.