Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Rl16 in a 260rem data

@redrover, give Rob a call, see what he's carrying at the moment.

https://www.workshopinnovation.co.nz...p?cat=169&pg=2

Yip workshop innovation, he had plenty in stock in many cals. They make both small and large rifle versions of their brass and its good stuff..

Gone but not forgotten
    Flyblown and Wingman: Thanks for the info. Should have thought of Workshop Innovation - I have bought stuff from them before. The prices are not cheap for 260 brass though. Is Peterson it really sufficiently better than Lapua to be worth the higher price? Of course if you must really have SRP stuff then there is not much choice, but opinions seem to be seriously divided about the benefit of it. Unless you really MUST load to pressure only just short of the where things start breaking ....

Its not that much dearer than .260Rem Lapua brass and in some cases its cheaper. I see it for $215 per 100 on trademe right now and the peterson is $94 per 50.
    Im a Lapua snob through and through but they dont make .260 brass in the small primer option. They do have .308 palma brass with the small primer but I didnt want to mess around with necking it down and turning neck donuts etc I also shoot a .308 Palma and didnt ever want to have a bad day and accidently mix up ammo with the same head stamp etc.
    Small rifle primers can give you slightly higher velocities without pressure signs that the large rifle primers would give at the same load and some claim tighter extreme spreads using SP brass. However, their biggest advantage is the life of the primer pocket compared to the LP brass. They stay tighter for longer especially if you load on the hotter side.

My loads are by no means hot but I load a lot of different cals and like to be able to share as many components as possible between them. I dont load/shoot any cals with
    large rifle primers so didnt really want to have to have those as another component in the cupboard.
    If you already load for cals that have large primers then that's no something you really have to consider.

Just recently Ive set out to simplify things and reduce the components I use.
    I like to use the same powders and projectiles or as few as possible components across all cals that I load for.

Currently I load:

.22 hornet and .22 TCM both with CCI small pistol primers, Aliant 300MP and 40 Z-Max.

.223 Rem with 69gr TMKs, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x47 Lapua both with 123gr Lapua Scenars and 123gr Amax, .308 Palma with 175gr TMKs, all these are with CCI BR-4 primers and BM8208 powder.

Both 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor with 130gr TMKs and 143gr ELDX, .260rem with 136gr lapua Scenar L and 143gr ELDX all using CCI BR-4 primers and Alliant RL16 powder

This means I have two different primers, three powders and 8 different projectiles (soon to be 7 once the 136gr Lapua's run out I will just shoot the 143gr ELDX in the .260s)
    This allows me to buy bulk of less components rather that a heap of different stuff. Keeps it all simple and without too much compromise of accuracy or velocity.

I shot a 5 round group of the same .260rem loads I tested in the 20" barrel through the 26" barrel yesterday.
    42.5gr of RL16 with the 136gr Lapua Scenar L.
    Unfortunately I left my chrono behind so will confirm the velocity asap but that load grouped great in the longer 26" Lothar Walther barrel too. Another very hot day and I had some heavy mirage off the ground and suppressor but still an easy 5 shot 0.3" group at 120yds. (The grass was too long to shoot from my 100y mark)

Name:  20190201_173506.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  4.83 MB
    Last edited by Wingman; 02-02-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    25/08IMP likes this.