Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wingman

Thread: RL16 in 308?

RL16 in 308?

Anyone tried it? Nothing on the Alliant site although they list recipes for everything around the pigs bum

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

RL16 in 308?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Anyone tried it? Nothing on the Alliant site although they list recipes for everything around the pigs bum

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide
    I'm looking for details on it for 284Win. One comment was to use H4350 (AR2209) data. I'm not saying it's right but it was a start. I also understand RL16 is similar to RL17 but has the TZ tech which supposedly makes it less temperature sensitive.
    I'm not sure 2209 would be a good powder for the 308 so possibly RL16 will be in the same boat.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Yeah reading US forums seems Alliant themselves couldnt get the 16 to work, 15 & 17 yes but not 16. Just wanting to know if anyone here has done it because kiwis do shit better

Banned
    can't help,sorry.but I am interested to know if anyone uses RL16 for what caliber

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Yeah reading US forums seems Alliant themselves couldnt get the 16 to work, 15 & 17 yes but not 16. Just wanting to know if anyone here has done it because kiwis do shit better
    17 looks too slow so I'd guess 16 isn't going to be great either. I've a heap of 15 if you wanted to try that?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Could do. I have close to a pound of 16 thats likely no longer needed

Make a big firework?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Sounds wasteful

Ive tried it @Gibo , its is very much like 2209 which was listed in the old ADI manuals for heavy .308 bullets but has now been removed in newer publications.
    RL16 maybe a bit faster but bulkier too so I tried it with my heavier 175gr TMK load. It is quite bulky so you cant get enough under the heavy bullets to get any real velocity.
    My pet load is 44gr of 2208 behind the 175gr tmk @2710fps so the RL16 needs about 48gr to match that pressure which was not possible due to bulk from memory. The RL16 load I tested over the chrono was a compressed load from memory but strangely I didnt note it down in my loading notebook.. it must have been not even worth a mention as it wasnt ever going to happen.
    It is also a very sooty powder which leaves a baked on carbon that is very hard to clean unless you run it at the hotter end.
    I run RL16 in the 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem and .22x47 Lapua Ack imp so will give your pound a home if you dont have a use for it.
    winaa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Ive tried it @Gibo , its is very much like 2209 which was listed in the old ADI manuals for heavy .308 bullets but has now been removed in newer publications.
    RL16 maybe a bit faster but bulkier too so I tried it with my heavier 175gr TMK load. It is quite bulky so you cant get enough under the heavy bullets to get any real velocity.
    My pet load is 44gr of 2208 behind the 175gr tmk @2710fps so the RL16 needs about 48gr to match that pressure which was not possible due to bulk from memory. The RL16 load I tested over the chrono was a compressed load from memory but strangely I didnt note it down in my loading notebook at so it must have been not even worth a mention as it wasnt ever going to happen.
    It is also a very sooty powder which leaves a baked on carbon that is very hard to clean unless you run it at the hotter end.
    I run RL16 in the 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem and .22x47 Lapua Ack imp so will give your pound a home if you dont have a use for it.
    Deadly bro cheers for that info.

I have an offer to swap for RL15. I might just sell the RL16 and get more 2206H which is what I use anyway......could be an opportunity for me to stop being a tutu

Trade you for some h335? Don't have a 308 anymore