Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gundoc

Thread: S.P.S Falcon 9mm accuracy load

S.P.S Falcon 9mm accuracy load

Got this SPS Falcon 9mm bull barrel second hand and tried to get good groupings at 25m. Totally hopeless, even at shorter distances.
    Is there anyone who can give me an advice about an accuracy load, please?
    Any information about, powder, powder charge, projectiles, velocity etc. would be much appreciated.
    Thanks all.

AR7
    I hope you get this to run right what is barrel twist rate as this might head you in the right direction with bullet weight .
    Still playing with a 9mm rifle to find the best pill it likes .
    so it might be an experience of just buying different ammo and trying them out .Perhaps @ your pistol club there are guys that use different ammo that you could try a couple of .

Back in the 80s a group of us got the first cz75 9mm pistols in nz and no way would they shoot till we went from 355 9mm projs to .358 38cal projs and problem solved .

Twist rate is 1:16, 6 lands and groves. Ramped match bull barrel.
    I used heaps of different ammo. Nothing worked well. Thanks for the advice re the.358 projectiles.
    Will give them a try next time.

DM"'s hrbc projectiles tend tobe a little bit oversize, could try those I guess, what did the previous owner say?

The previous owner said that he can remember what he was loading. He is guessing that he loaded 4.9gr AP70 behind a 124gr FP Berry’s projectile.
    He also said that his groupings were in the 3” to 5” range at 25m, which is terrible in my opinion.
    That’s the reason while I’m looking for some help here at the forum.
    I have figured out that this bull barrel doesn’t like 115gr or 147gr projectiles.
    Therefore, I will use 124gr projectiles and will do more research and testing.

I feed my CZ SP01 124gr Berry's with 4.2gr Titegroup.
    Was the best within the Titegroup range for this projectile and others report as good for their CZs.

When you say second-hand it always does make you wonder if this was an issue for the gun.... That said, I bought a Marlin Guide Gun that had been dropped onto rock/concrete on the muzzle by the previous owner /seller. It has damage to show. So I took a risk buying it... But that gun is fantastically accurate.
    I the bright side, you can easily change out a pistol barrel....

About the best you can expect from a 9mm auto with good ammo is 1.5 - 2 inch groups at 25 metres. Guns like the match-grade Sig P210 will do that fairly easily. Most standard 9mms aren't that good, and neither are their owners, but a 3-4 inch group will still win matches. Consistent reliability and reasonable grouping is more important than tiny groups and malfunctions due to tight tolerances.
    m101a1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    About the best you can expect from a 9mm auto with good ammo is 1.5 - 2 inch groups at 25 metres. Guns like the match-grade Sig P210 will do that fairly easily. Most standard 9mms aren't that good, and neither are their owners, but a 3-4 inch group will still win matches. Consistent reliability and reasonable grouping is more important than tiny groups and malfunctions due to tight tolerances.
    3-4inches is still the A Zone, tbh theres a big difference between practical accuracy (like what he has) that will win the matches compared to sitting at a bench trying for precision

No, nothing happened with this pistol or the barrel. Previous owner just gave up pistol shooting.