Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: CCI BR4 vs CCI 400 primer’s

CCI BR4 vs CCI 400 primer’s

Ive had an interesting time this weekend testing some .223 loads in a new to me Tikka .
    When I initially got it I just ran a selection of factory ammo through it and was very happy with the results .
    So last week I loaded up some rounds of 77TMK and 80 ELDM using 2206H , new ADI brass and CCI BR4 primers to do some testing .
    Only 3 of the first 7 rounds went off and those that did misfire had an indentation on the primer but not very big .
    First thing I did was strip the bolt and clean/lubricate , but it wasn't bad at all infact it was very clean .
    Went back to see if that helped - first shot misfire .
    I went to the cupboard and found some ADI factory 55gn ammo ( thought I'd use that because it is the same brand as the cases I'm loading ) and loaded up 6 rounds .
    Perfect ignition overtime .
    I read somewhere that the CCI BR4 primers are a bit harder than the CCI 400 , can anyone confirm that ?
    I’ve checked case lengths with my comparator set both fired and unfired to make sure that the cases aren't short etc , but so far all I can come up with is the primers are hard and the Tikka's spring must be a bit light .

This morning I primed 5 new ADI cases with CCI 400 primers but no powder or projectiles and just fired them off - 100% success .
    I then primed 5 cases with the BR4’s and only 2 of the 5 went off and the indentations on the primers were very weak .

I went and got my Howa out and tried the 3 primer’s that didn’t go off - all 3 fired no problem.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this , how common is it for Tikka’s to have a weak spring , or is it a situation of BR4’s being very hard ( my Howa’s don’t seem to mind them )

Everything else I’ve shot through the rifle , at least 50 rounds of different factory ammo hasn’t been a problem.

Anyone got any experience of this before, or suggestions ?
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

The BR4 and 450s have thicker and harder cups that are supposed to be more pressure tollerant, hence the 450s being called magnum primers (BR4s are supposedly the same as the 450s just more betterer).
    You aren't supposed to use the 400s in semis as they are reportedly prone to slam fires, either match or magnum primers are considered safe to use.

As to why your Tikka has issue with BR4s? No idea but I was about to try a similar test with my T3 223, BR4s vs 400s with 75gr bullets.
    I've never had a primer issue with mine but I have never specifiaclly tried the thicker primers either.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

BR4s are not hard so much as they have a thicker cup than others.
    Back in the days of converting 308 range rifles (no change to firing pin hole in bolt) to 6MM BR for F Class it was quite common to have pierced primers. We all changed to BR4s and the problem disappeared.
    The chart below is now quite old but probably still accurate. I have never had any problems with BR primers or any primers for that matter. Are you seating them fully to the bottom of the primer pockets?
    Name:  SmartSelect_20230703_143822_Chrome.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  243.4 KB

my zastava used to do it when I first started loading for it...put me off cci primers for a bit UNTIL mate showed me to release bolt while it was in storage...so the fireing pin sits poking out front of bolt face..issue dissapeared and has never misfired since...now CCI go bang just like everything else.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've had to clean the bolt out on my Tikka else it has started to do the same thing with 450's. Keep it spotless inside. No grease or oil. Maybe a bit of dry lube but that's optional.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

I’d say it’s a function of weak firing pin spring and the thicker cups of the BR-4’s. Replace the firing pin and spring assembly.

Usual problem with modern Tikka is a rusty or gummed up firing pin, if you've checked that then next most common is bumping the shoulder to far.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Usual problem with modern Tikka is a rusty or gummed up firing pin, if you've checked that then next most common is bumping the shoulder to far.
    Yep, had ftf and this was it. Also need to well.

I had this problem with a Kimber. Turned out I was setting the case back too far with the FL sizer. Wound it up until the cases were just slightly firm in the chamber and the problem was solved. It only took a few thou of too much shoulder set back to cause the miss fires.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Just an update on this .

I borrowed a mates bore scope and inspected the inside of the bolt to make sure that there wasn’t any rubbish or damage internally that would be effecting the travel of the pin , it was as clean as a whistle
    I loaded up 25 rounds ( 5 different powder charges - 2206H ) with CCI 400 primers - 80gr eldm and shot them on the weekend .
    I had zero problems with misfires and the testing was a success - 23.4 gr was the most accurate .
    I then tried a couple of rounds with BR4 primers and they failed to fire .
    I’ve ordered a new main spring from Gunworks and will see if that fixes the light primer strike on the BR4’s .
    It’s an old rifle , so my suspicion is the spring is tired .

I bet you have pushed your shoulder on the brass, too far back, and the friring pin is able to move, the loaded round away from the bolt face for a few thou,
    Ive done this a couple times, if new ammo fires, and reloaded ammo doesn’t, and has light strikes, my bet is the brass shoulder.
    How old are the primers ?
    And to that fact the rifle, new, 50 years,

It’s new Brass , never been fired .
    Measured with my Hornady comparator set , the shoulder is fine .

I had a similar issue with my 6x47 Lapua and new brass formed from 6.5x47 Lapua, I had to seat the pills into the lands for the first firing. They have been fine since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you try releasing tension on the bolt spring while not in use?
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Did you try releasing tension on the bolt spring while not in use?
    Yeh ,

I’ve been doing that , since someone mentioned it .
    The replacement spring will be here soon and then I’ll try shooting the BR4’s again.
    I shot some load development loads again yesterday with the CCI 400’s - 25 rounds in total without a misfire, but the indentations on the primers are still weak .
    The new spring is supposed to be a bit stronger so hopefully that will get things sorted .
    Micky Duck likes this.