Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Same load increased velocity 🤔

What is your C.O.A.L.?

From memory we are internal mag length restricted on these rifles to ~2.875”. Mine are therefore 2.850” tip to primer. But my maximum possible overall length is 2.927” if I were single feeding, using the cartridge length tool.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    What is your C.O.A.L.?

From memory we are internal mag length restricted on these rifles to ~2.875”. Mine are therefore 2.850” tip to primer. But my maximum possible overall length is 2.927” if I were single feeding, using the cartridge length tool.
    2.865" I am running ai mags with heaps of room left in the mag

Similar thing happened in my mates 6.5 was carbon ring build up. It was a prick to get it cleaned. Solvent and nylon brush in a battery drill. Finally worked it out by checking the distance to lands using the hornady gauge, was different from when new. After we cleaned it everything went back to how it was previously including the accuracy. He was very close to putting a new barrel on it. Can see the benefits of a bore scope after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinky View Post
    Similar thing happened in my mates 6.5 was carbon ring build up. It was a prick to get it cleaned. Solvent and nylon brush in a battery drill. Finally worked it out by checking the distance to lands using the hornady gauge, was different from when new. After we cleaned it everything went back to how it was previously including the accuracy. He was very close to putting a new barrel on it. Can see the benefits of a bore scope after that.
    Had carbon rings in some big bangers that had lost accuracy and started showing pressure.
    The best by far for removing the build up was the recommendation of using a foaming bore cleaner called wipe out and its precleaner called accelerator.
    I just use patches and no scrubbing.
    Unbeleivable stuff.
    I keep going until the patch comes out as clean as when ya put it in.
    I have got most solvents ever invented and this is by far the best of the lot.
    Beware as it leaves nothing in the bore so I only use it for deep cleans when accuracy is falling off.
    I will try find a photo of it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Mauser308 likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Had carbon rings in some big bangers that had lost accuracy and started showing pressure.
    The best by far for removing the build up was the recommendation of using a foaming bore cleaner called wipe out and its precleaner called accelerator.
    Unbeleivable stuff.
    Beware as it leaves nothing in the bore so I only use it for deep cleans when accuracy is falling off.

https://sharpshootr.com/wipe-out/

https://sharpshootr.com/accelerator-for-wipe-out/
    Plinky and dannyb like this.

I get it from guncity or deaddeye dicks

dannyb likes this.

Have you changed batches of powder? I have first hand experience of AR2209 producing significant velocity swings when using a new container of powder with a different lot#

Unbeleivable stuff.

This is good stuff and what I use.
    Save a whole lot of scrubbing which must be good for your bore.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

Unbeleivable stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    This is good stuff and what I use.
    Save a whole lot of scrubbing which must be good for your bore.
    Yep, same here. It's what Tony Boyer, one of USA's all time benchrest greats uses. Although he uses the liquid not the foam. They both do the same job. Got mine from DED.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    Have you changed batches of powder? I have first hand experience of AR2209 producing significant velocity swings when using a new container of powder with a different lot#
    Still the same bottle of powder. Was thinking about opening another bottle (from the same batch) and trying 5 test rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yep, same here. It's what Tony Boyer, one of USA's all time benchrest greats uses. Although he uses the liquid not the foam. They both do the same job. Got mine from DED.
    Might have to give it a try, wouldn't hurt.

Are you checking your brass length? Do you trim your cases?
    Resident of "The Great White North" a.k.a. Canada

Quote Originally Posted by canuck hunter View Post
    Are you checking your brass length? Do you trim your cases?
    Yip always check length, they sit around 1.914

GWH
    Yep, in my experience it will be one or both of whats mentioned above, bore being run in and/or carbon fouling.

My Bartlein barrel (28 Nosler) had a big increase of speed at about 80-90 rounds down it, after it had run in i assume. The give away was when i started shooting over animals at distance, checked the velocity and it was much higher.

Also most people dont clean carbon out of a barrel properly with normal cleaning, i found this out the hard way a few years back with another rifle, velocity increase and accuracy blown out to about 3 inches at 100 yards, i checked everything and when just about ready to move it on, i got a tip from a target shooter about carbon build up, i polished it out with autosol and the problems went away like magic.

Ive since started using foaming bore cleaner and havnt really seen the problem again since. I do do regular carbon cleans on the 28 Nosler thou as the R33 carbon fouls pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Amount of bolt thrust can have no discernable effect on muzzle velocity. The case / bolt are not moving backwards in any "equal & opposite" reaction, only the entire rifle is moving back. That said, a thought on equal and opposite reactions.. if you support an all-metal rifle against a solid immovable back-stop (not even a soft recoil pad) vs a human shoulder, will the MV be significantly higher and/or more consistent from backstop-supported shots?
    So, had to do some calculations on this. A 174grain (11.28gram) projectile at 2450 fps through a 4kg all-metal rifle.

Rifle will recoil at 7.14 fps into the shoulder by time the projectile is at the muzzle, as an opposite reaction to the accelerating bullet proportional to their relative mass difference. Additional recoil as gases exit does not affect muzzle velocity.

The same rifle supported against an immovable, non-giving back stop will launch the same projectile at 2457 fps, turning the rifle into an impressive, long-range shooter... (<:

Basically the more powerful the cartridge and the lighter the rifle is, the greater relative differences in MV between supported butt vs. unsupported butt.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch