Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: School me on 7mm08

School me on 7mm08

Thinking of getting 7mm barrel for me AI AW rifle , so what brass & bullets & powder do you guys use & reccomend etc .

Cheers Chris

What do you use your rile for?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Long range gong shoots and thinning goats on a farm , at 400-600m , was looking at 162gr amax If i could get them ?
    Barrel will be long , ie 26-28 inches ?

Do you need it that long for a little 7 08?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

That should work nicely Chris. I would expect 2600 with the 162 from a 24' barrel, so you should get a bit more than that. 2209 would probably be the powder or an equivalent. If you could get the chamber long throated to seat the amax right out there you would pick up a bit more too. Barrel life wouldn't be too bad either.
    162 amax seem to be abit easier to get right now. 162 sst would be good too, but the BC isn't quite as good as the amax.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Long range gong shoots and thinning goats on a farm , at 400-600m , was looking at 162gr amax If i could get them ?
    Barrel will be long , ie 26-28 inches ?
    I have plenty of 162s Chris.

Use 308 or 260 Lapua brass, throat the chamber to seat them as long as your mag will allow.

Surprising the performance you can get with a decent length barrel combined with intelligent component choices

ebf
    Chris, I have plenty 162 Amaxes for you. Long barrel will be good for those. Struggling to make them go fast enough in my 20 inch tube.

Alternatively try Berger 140 vld hunting.

Running norma brass in mine, thin neck from factory. Got them from Julian at workshop innovation.

Powder wise 2208, rl17 if you can find it, 7mmsaum reckons 2213sc worth having a look at for longer barrels.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I would want more than 2600fps , as I get 2700fps with 175gr in my 308 , looking for a little more slippery bullet ( BC ) , and longer supersonic flight than my current 308 load which is dropping into the subsonic range around 925-950m , and so I think its getting a little unstable slightly before that range .

Thanks for the info guys .

ebf
    What twist barrel and projectiles you using for 308 ?

ebf
    Chris, you need better 308 projectiles

Going subsonic at 1100yds with HBC / Lapua Scenar 155gr (3000fps), and 1200 yds with.Berger 185 Juggernaut (2740 fps), but that is singleshot seating depth, and 28" tube. Both those projectiles are very forgiving once you get into trans-sonic range. The Nosler Custom Competitions are awesome for shorts, but get real unstable for trans-sonic.

Like everthing , I like balance , I have used the 155gr Scenar at close to 3k , I think it was 2950fps from my 26 inche std AW barrel , 1-12 twist , just felt that they did not handle the wind that well at 1000yds , and in Taranaki , you always have wind , and it was a hot load for me , using VV powder .
    The 175gr I use is the SMK , just seems to let me down at plus 800m , which is surprising given that they shot 16 inche barrel ARs to 1000+ , and its easy to hit with .
    Getting Berger bullets for me has been hit and miss , and I also try to stick to ADI powders as they are usually more reliable to source when you want it .
    I am also thinking of the 260 as well , just like the heavier payload of 7mm over 6.5mm .

Lapua do 7mm08 brass now - Workshop Innovation and Belmont have it
    steven likes this.

ebf
    1:12 will be good for 185 jugs, adi 2208. Seating depth is likely to be the only issue.

The 185 hybrid likes faster twist, but the jugs are ridiculously easy to get going well, not like the "normal" VLD's at all.

K95
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Like everthing , I like balance , I have used the 155gr Scenar at close to 3k , I think it was 2950fps from my 26 inche std AW barrel , 1-12 twist , just felt that they did not handle the wind that well at 1000yds , and in Taranaki , you always have wind , and it was a hot load for me , using VV powder .
    The 175gr I use is the SMK , just seems to let me down at plus 800m , which is surprising given that they shot 16 inche barrel ARs to 1000+ , and its easy to hit with .
    Getting Berger bullets for me has been hit and miss , and I also try to stick to ADI powders as they are usually more reliable to source when you want it .
    I am also thinking of the 260 as well , just like the heavier payload of 7mm over 6.5mm .
    That is farken hot. I was getting 2997 from a 30" on my target rifle.
    Danny likes this.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

I'd be looking at a 284 win rather than a 7mm 8 if you want to shoot a 162.
    #BallisticFists