Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Seating depth headache

Are you using a powder charge that is crushing your powder??

Im doing so in my 223 - ok, different calibre, though IM also seeing variances in seating depth and thats using a micrometer seating depth addon - i will keep that odd ones aside then adjust my seating depth - however many thou -as needed to get the end result that it sits where I need it to be for the node... PITA at times!
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Compressed loads can cause seating depth inconsistency as well, gave me headaches when I started loading for my rem mag.

Does the seating stem match the projectiles? Unannealed brass, different neck tensions and projectiles slip in stem. Will normally see a ring on projectiles tho
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Cheers for the input guys. I annealed a bunch of brass over the weekend and have seen a massive difference, they even feel more consistent as the projectile is seating. Length variance down to about 2thou. I can live with that. Still haven’t secured the quick change bushing so that’s next.
    For those asking, it is technically a compressed load but only ever so slightly.

I am currently using a Lee seating die and manage to achieve about a 2 thou tolerance. I absolutely agree that varying neck tension gives varying seating depths. New brass or annealing your existing cases will help. Having said that, 5 thou is far from the end of the world for most applications.

Another thing I found if not annealing every time was to brush the necks with a nylon brush after sizing. Seems to reduce inconsistencies in seating pressure you can feel when seating the projectile. Worked for me anyway.